Default Disobey Traffic Control Device (Left Turn Only Sign) by Making a U Turn

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: New York

I was cited for disobeying a traffic control device when I made a U turn on Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn. There was no sign prohibiting U turns and I was in the left most lane of a two lane left turn. There was however a posted sign stating "Left Turn Must Turn Left".

Nearly every other intersection on Flatbush Ave, with pavement marked left turn only lanes, has a U Turn prohibited sign posted. This one does not. Ergo, I thought it was legal and am not yet convinced it is illegal as marked.

Question 1: In NYC, does an intersection marked with "Left lane must turn left" sign prohibit a U turn?

Question 2: If the answer to #1 is yes, then why are so many intersections with pavement marked left turn only lanes also marked with a "No U Turns" sign?

Question 3: In the NYS DMV manual, it specifically notes a U turn is LEGAL at an intersection with a green left arrow light unless otherwise prohibited. The only difference in my case is that I executed the U turn on a green light, not a green arrow.

Thanks

Default Re: Disobey Traffic Control Device (Left Turn Only Sign) by Making a U Turn

the way I see it, you did turn left. You just didn't stop with a 90 turn and made a 180 turn.

In the NYS DMV manual, it specifically notes a U turn is LEGAL at an intersection with a green left arrow light unless otherwise prohibited.
    I would say you have an arguable point of defense.

what is the statute listed for the violation?

Default Re: Disobey Traffic Control Device (Left Turn Only Sign) by Making a U Turn

Interestingly the Officer left the "In Violation of" numerical statute section blank.

1. Sponsored Links