Default Social Security Survivor Benefits Eligibility

I am a 58 year old whose husband died in May of 2009. I have been told I have to wait 2 1/2 years from the time of his death before I can receive survivor benefits. I am currently receiving funds from his pension, which after I pay my mortgage, I have virtually nothing left for other bills or necessities. I applied for welfare, but was told I receive approximately 75 dollars a month too much for their department to offer me ANY help whatsoever. I have bipolar disorder, yet have no medical insurance nor funds to receive treatment for my condition. I am behind on my house of 30 plus years, and fear I may lose it. My question is, is there ANY way i can receive my survivor benfits earlier than what I am being told? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Social Security Survivor Benefits

You can apply for disabled widow's benefits as early as age 50. You have to be found disabled in order to qualify before age 60. The medical rules for disabled widows is the same as the medical rules for SSDI and SSI. There are more denials than approvals. But you won't know if you'll be approved unless you file a claim and provide all the information.

Be thorough.

Either way, filing for survivor benefits before full retirement age (probably age 66 for you) will mean a permanent reduction in your monthly Social Security benefit but you will get it for more years.

1. Sponsored Links