Default International Driving With Suspended U.S. License

I'm somewhat amazed at how many people ask you guys the same question of "I'm suspended in state A." "Can I get a new license in state B"? I can see the motivation there, and the confusion as some states aren't members of the NDR- though I don't understand why as the PDPS seems to do the same thing...

Anyway, thats gotta be tedious to hear over and over so I'm at least going to spin this question with a variation that forum searching hasn't answered for me:

I have a currently valid license, but am bracing for an imminent suspension for DWI. I have my current license and one duplicate that I had lost but since recovered. I'm going to hate not driving my motorcycle, and am looking at canceling this years' international ride as a result. I try to do one international ride a year if I can manage-- motorcycles are my therapy.

So-- while doing my time here and not driving as indicated... can I take a vacation somewhere that doesn't reciprocate with the USA and still get my therapy in before returning home to reality? What countries are options? (if any?)

Thanks for any help!

**Tangent question: Can you outfit a motorcycle with an interlock device?

Default Re: Twist on This Forum's Most Popular Question- "International"

What countries are options? (if any?)
    You aren't really asking volunteers to research the motorcycle laws of every country extant on your behalf, are you?

Figure out where you want to travel. Contact the embassy or consulate for that country for reference to that country's motor vehicle licensing laws.

Most countries require that you hold a VALID license in your homeland to be able to drive/ride where you're visiting, though.

**Tangent question: Can you outfit a motorcycle with an interlock device?
    You can, but not all states allow it. Check with the DMV of your undisclosed state to see if this is an option for you.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    You aren't really asking volunteers to research the motorcycle laws of every country extant on your behalf, are you?
    No, why would you think that?
    What I'm asking is if anyone is familiar? 'cause that would be helpful information to know.

Default Re: International Driving With Suspended U.S. License

We only answer on matters of US law here. That's why the posting form reads "US Law Only".

The 20 or so regular responders here are laypeople. The chances that any of us are familiar with the motorcycle laws of any other country are...vanishingly small.
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Figure out where you want to travel. Contact the embassy or consulate for that country for reference to that country's motor vehicle licensing laws.

Most countries require that you hold a VALID license in your homeland to be able to drive/ride where you're visiting, though.
    I have a lot of countries on my list, and since my options will likely be dictated by the answer to this question/research- I'm open to whatever is available right now (or in the near future).

"most countries require.." certainly implies some exceptions-- if you happen to know of one or more, I'd appreciate that citation.

I'm not looking to break anybody's laws here- if a country has no reciprocity for driving information with the USA, then I don't know that its a problem, and it would certainly help me to continue enjoying my life in spite of my being human and making a mistake that I plan not to repeat.

I lived in Germany for a time, and you couldn't get a driving permit there without a valid US license. I seem to recall Italy, France and Poland having the same requirements.

I don't expect anywhere in the EU or near the EU is going to let you have a permit without a valid US license - and they WILL check.

Okay- thanks for the factual response in spite of my somewhat off-topic post (international).

I may try to squeeze the trip into whatever time I have left before my trial- as what I had planned was scotland/ireland/UK this time around.

However, several locations in South America, and Africa are also contenders. Also Iceland... so if any other readers happen to have any ideas/suggestions to research, I don't plan to stop touring until I've pretty well been everywhere.

Unfortunately, my legal situation certainly will make things more complicated for a while.

Thanks for any other tips to help make the most of a difficult situation!

I've owned motorcycles in 4 different countries and have rented them in about a dozen others. In most countries, you can ride temporarily with either what appears to be a valid license from your state or your license along with an international driver's permit....which you can get for 10 bucks at AAA (no membership required).

You will have to have what appears to be a valid state license to get it and be advised that the international permit means nothing, anywhere, without your state license.

I think you could potentially have a problem in Canada but I doubt you would anywhere else. Also, there are countries (such as Vietnam) where it is illegal to ride without a local license.

I found your question about installing an interlock device amusing! I think it could be done but on the motorcycles I own, they would be very easy to defeat.

Be aware that the advice you get on this forum is usually based solely on experience....or simply a lay opinion....including my own!!

Ride safe!

1. Sponsored Links