Default What to Do With a Car Abandoned by an Ex-Girlfriend

State: Virginia, US

So,

A friend of mine is in a bind. 7 years ago, he bought a car with his then girlfriend of two years. The loan was under HIS name, however for some stupid reason they put the car registration under HER name.

The loan has been paid off by my friend, his vehicle registration/emissions for this car (located in Virginia) are dead and his ex-girlfriend is no where to be found. He has contacted her mother, he has even talked to her son, and it's quite clear that she has NO intention of ever signing off the paperwork so my friend can take over the car.

He has been taking care of it over the last years, and it now has dead tags and needs an emissions test. Before this can be done, he needs to have the vehicle registration in his now wife's name. He was able to renew them before because he had is licsense, no longer has that and wants to put it under his wife's name so she can use the car instead.

I have scouged through the internet and cannot find one damn thing to do. I have called the DMV to for help, and of course they don't give a crap and keep saying get a lawyer but the lawyers say you need to call the local police and the police point you right back to the DMV. So this is all messed up.

Is there any real advice someone can give me? I mean does the car has to be marked as adandoned and then he has to claim it through the city while paying the registration fee's ALL over again? Or is there a way as the owner of the loan to kick her off the title and allow his now wife to take over the title of the car?

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Girl Left, Can't Find Her, Car Just Stting Around

Default Re: Girl Left, Can't Find Her, Car Just Stting Around

Wait Wait,

As I stated, he is looking for away around having to state he has an intent to Auction. That is basically putting his car up for sale, and he don't get jack from the sale. This allows anyone to buy his car, I mean his car car is a 2000 and

Could you clarify Or anyone else.

Default Re: Girl Left, Can't Find Her, Car Just Sitting Around

you didn't read the entire page, did you?

After the posting period ends, you are eligible to title the vehicle, sell it, or transfer it to a demolisher or scrap metal processor. If no record was found for the vehicle during the record request search, you may choose to transfer the vehicle to a demolisher or scrap metal processor without posting intent to auction, but if you choose to title the vehicle, you must post your intent to auction and wait 21 days.

If no record was found for the vehicle during the record request search, you may choose to transfer the vehicle to a demolisher or scrap metal processor without posting intent to auction, but if you choose to title the vehicle, you must post your intent to auction and wait 21 days.
    What I don't understand is, what is the intent to auction mean? Doesn't that mean that your local city can come pick it up, sell it and if my friend doesn't buy it at the auction he is SOL cause his ex-wife doesn't want to sign the paperwork?

Here's the online process, which is simply a companion link to the one posted above by jk. https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/apps/AV...icles_FAQ.aspx

If I reading this correctly, the intent to auction sounds like just a formality to the owner, letting them know that if the vehicle isn't retrieved, it will be 'disposed' of in the manner that the property owner sees fit. Read all the way down that page, and you will see that it really isn't as complicated as it sounds. I don't see anything there that says the vehicle is abandoned to the city, nor does it say that the owner of the vehicle has to sign anything in order for action to take place (hence the term abandoned).

Quote Quoting mamabear2102003
    View Post

If I reading this correctly, the intent to auction sounds like just a formality to the owner, letting them know that if the vehicle isn't retrieved, it will be 'disposed' of in the manner that the property owner sees fit..
    that is my take as well. It is basically service by publication that there is an action against their vehicle and if they fail to act, they lose out.

it also prevents an unscrupulous person from "stealing" a car by not taking all actions available to attempt to notify the owner.

So,

Basically he actually waits 15 days for the owner to come pick up the car (basically his wife), if she doesn't he waits another 15 days basically as a "waiting" period till he can sell,auction, destroy the car at his will.

After that, he just has to pay the re-titling fee's and etc?

I knew that you already knew that! hehehehe

OP: Pretty much..... just tell him to take heed of the time lines or he'll be starting (and paying) over. Best thing is that he can do it all online.

Thanks for the help everyone

Hopefully in a few months he will have his car back in his hands lol

1. Sponsored Links