Default Non-Debtor Joint Account Levied

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Georgia

My Girlfriend and I had a joint bank account togther to which our payroll checks were direct deposited. This joint account has been levied due to a debt obligation she previously had and apparently the creditor obtained a Judgment against her.

My question is since I am not a party to this judgment claim, can I petition the court to release "my" funds, specifically my payroll check that was deposited into this joint account, and if so, since I am not listed on any of the court papers in regard to this levy, do I need to file my own claim?

Default Re: Non-Debtor Joint Account Levied

Quote Quoting MANT2050
    View Post
    My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Georgia

My Girlfriend and I had a joint bank account togther to which our payroll checks were direct deposited. This joint account has been levied due to a debt obligation she previously had and apparently the creditor obtained a Judgment against her.

My question is since I am not a party to this judgment claim, can I petition the court to release "my" funds, specifically my payroll check that was deposited into this joint account, and if so, since I am not listed on any of the court papers in regard to this levy, do I need to file my own claim?
    No, once they go into the joint account they become her funds as well as yours. No chance in getting that money back from this account.

You will certainly need to file your own claim to get this money back. Please make sure you file the claim against the right person. You'll have to file a claim against your girlfriend.

1. Sponsored Links