Default Defense for Accident and Citation for "Change Lane when Unsafe"

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Texas

I'm new to the US and new to a traffic accident case. I really don't if I could have any kind of defense for this case becuase it involves an accident. I appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thank you so much!

Around 8:30pm, my dad was driving me to a store, which was on the right side of the street. There were two streets with cars from the same direction, merging into one. We were coming from the left side, so we needed to change three lanes from the left-most lane in a quite short distance in order to get to the store. My dad turned on the right-turn signal. I remember that he had yielded at least two cars before coming to the middle lane and he spent a very short time yielding again before chaging to the right-most lane. That was when and where the accident happened—he hit a dark blue van. The police gave him a ticket for "change lane when unsafe".
    There were ten people in the van and none of them had driver licenses nor car insurance.

Because my dad was very slow while changing lanes and I remember the van being fast the moment we hit it. Could it be possible that it was the van's speeding that caused the accident?

I am really not an expert in this field. But just as a daughter, I don't want to see my dad being so upset and I want to help him out as much as I can. Thank you again for any advice, suggestions, or comments.

Default Re: Defense for Accident and Citation for "Change Lane when Unsafe"

We do not know how the accident occurred. We weren't there, and you haven't told us how the speed of the van your father hit might have contributed to the accident. But let's assume for the moment that the other vehicle's speed contributed to the accident - you state that your father hit this vehicle, not that the vehicle hit him, so I'm skeptical that it would get him out of a ticket for changing lanes in an unsafe manner.

Sometimes it's possible to get a ticket reduced or deferred, depending upon court policies or upon a request to the prosecutor. Your father may want to investigate those possibilities.

1. Sponsored Links