Default More Than One Power of Attorney

My question involves personal property located in the State of: KY
    Not sure if I am posting in correct place. Sorry

I have been given POA by a person who is Federal Prison. He owns several property's near my house and has asked me to be kind of his rental manager. He is PA and I am in KY. He also has a girlfriend in PA who has POA to handle anything she can from there. I was told by a cop only one person can have POA - so he is not honoring mine. Is this true? Its pretty much allowing others here to take advantage of this guy, as in not paying their rent. The other POA cannot travel here.

Default Re: More Than One Power of Attorney

The officer is incorrect.

What's the actual issue here? The POA's give overlapping authority, and you're trying to overrule the girlfriend?

Your friend in prison should be able to revoke either or both POA's, and to reissue POA's to whomever he wishes that better clarify who is supposed to have what power.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    The officer is incorrect.

What's the actual issue here? The POA's give overlapping authority, and you're trying to overrule the girlfriend?

Your friend in prison should be able to revoke either or both POA's, and to reissue POA's to whomever he wishes that better clarify who is supposed to have what power.
    No the other POA is in another state and cannot get here where the property's are located. The renters are not paying rent and running electric cords illegally but because the cops say he can only have 1 POA they will not allow me to do anything. Only the one who cannot get here can file anything.

I was told by a cop only one person can have POA - so he is not honoring mine

The cops do not control what you can and cannot do. How are the police even involved with the situation? There must be more to the story

and when you say you have a POA you do have this in writing, yes? Some official looking statement with a notarized signatures and such?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post

The cops do not control what you can and cannot do. How are the police even involved with the situation? There must be more to the story

and when you say you have a POA you do have this in writing, yes? Some official looking statement with a notarized signatures and such?
    Cops were involved due to the renter having electric cords running from a well pump to her house.
    Yes I have a notarized paper which was done at the prison.

so, why were the police involved?

Generally, an apt manager would simply disconnect the cords and start eviction proceedings. I can see reasons why the police might be called but I wouldn't think that would be necessary.

who called the cops and for what?

Its kind of hard to explain. The MH which there is a renter living in has no well pump of its own. The water runs off a pump which is located down the road at the main house. Renter has a cord hooked up there to be able to get water. It is hooked directly to her electric. Owner wants cord removed to force renter out for not paying rent. I have not been allowed to disconnect the cord - renter called police when I told her to do so. Police said POA in PA was only person who could file a complaint or start a eviction.
    Electric company says its OK with them since it is a heavy duty cord.

Owner wants cord removed to force renter out for not paying rent.

You need to file for eviction and follow the laws in doing so. I don't know in your state but in some, what you are doing could end up with the tenant receiving many thousands of dollars from the LL for attempting to illegally evict them.

You are placing yourself into a real problem with possible personal liability for taking illegal eviction actions.

Police said POA in PA was only person who could file a complaint or start a eviction.
    the police do not have the power to make that determination, only the courts do. They might have saved you or your friend a lot of money by refusing to force the tenant to disconnect the cord though.

Go down to the courthouse and file for an eviction.

Really, police officers are not in a position to give legal advice. I can grant as many people as I wish the power to act on my behalf. It might not be smart, but either authorized person can act as attorney in fact for the person who is incarcerated. Cops are not lawyers, but sometimes they forget that. Sometimes they think they are lawyers, judges, jurors, and more.

Any court in which you start an eviction proceeding should accept the POA you have if it is properly worded and executed.

1. Sponsored Links