Default Where to Change a Child's Name

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Marion County FL or Erie Pa.

My stepson is 7 he was born in Erie Pa and Lived with his mother in Pa for 3 Years she had full custody of him with my husband having visitation. His mother passed away when he was 3 and Kyle has lived with us full time for the last 4 years, He had his mothers last name but since living with us he has decided he wanted our last name so we filled out the back of his birth certificate and had it notorized and erie Pa sent us a new birth certificate with his new last name. When we went to have his last name changed on his social security card here in Florida they said we did it illegal and that there has to be a court order but pa did not require one so I was wondering if we have to petition the courts to get his name "legally" changed do we do it in Pa or Fl? also if pa does not require a court order and/or we cant get one in FL should we travel to Pa to have his social security card change since they changed his name?

Default Re: Child Born in Pa Living in Florida

You should be able to do this in FL since that's now where kiddo lives. It's not too difficult - Dad needs to call the local court house and they'll tell him which forms are needed. He then simply pays the filing fees and it should all be taken care of quite easily.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: Child Born in Pa Living in Florida

Quote Quoting haydenismylife
    View Post
    My question involves name change laws in the State of: Marion County FL or Erie Pa.

My stepson is 7 he was born in Erie Pa and Lived with his mother in Pa for 3 Years she had full custody of him with my husband having visitation. His mother passed away when he was 3 and Kyle has lived with us full time for the last 4 years, He had his mothers last name but since living with us he has decided he wanted our last name so we filled out the back of his birth certificate and had it notorized and erie Pa sent us a new birth certificate with his new last name. When we went to have his last name changed on his social security card here in Florida they said we did it illegal and that there has to be a court order but pa did not require one so I was wondering if we have to petition the courts to get his name "legally" changed do we do it in Pa or Fl? also if pa does not require a court order and/or we cant get one in FL should we travel to Pa to have his social security card change since they changed his name?

He can find the forms here:
    http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/f...es/index.shtml

1. Sponsored Links