Default Is IRA and Roth IRA Safe from Creditors Who Have a Judgment

California

If someone has a judgment already, can the debtor keep depositing into their ira and roth ira and have it not able to be touched? I've been told a 401k and ira are safe in most cases when someone files for bankruptcy. I'm curious if one doesn't file bankruptcy can their ira and roth ira not be touched. I know bank accounts can be seized.

Default Re: Is IRA and Roth IRA Safe from Creditors Who Have a Judgment

In most cases your retirement accounts will be exempt from garnishment. I could see a creditor trying to set aside a transfer as a "fraudulent conveyance" if you are putting money into your retirement accounts to make yourself uncollectable; whether that would succeed will depend upon the specific facts.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I know one can put a maximum of 5500 into an Ira per year for tax purposes, but I was wondering if there was a maximum for a Roth Ira since it isn't so much a tax shelter. I have a list showing tax exemptions, but I didn't have Roth Ira on the list. Nobody is garnishing me, but with a judgment it could happen in the future or never. I just want past deposits to be safe, not so much current transfers. Most likely I would use a 401k, and Roth Ira to save for the future. Thanks Mr. Knowitall.

Read this.
    Quote Quoting Maximum IRA Contribution
    2010 Combined Traditional and Roth IRA Contribution Limits

If you are under 50 years of age at the end of 2010
    : The maximum contribution that you can make to a traditional or Roth IRA is the smaller of $5,000 or the amount of your taxable compensation for 2010. This limit can be split between a traditional and a Roth IRA but the combined limit is $5,000. The maximum contribution to a Roth IRA and the maximum deductible contribution to a traditional IRA may be reduced depending upon your modified adjusted gross income (modified AGI).

If you are 50 years of age or older before 2011
    : The maximum contribution that can be made to a traditional or Roth IRA is the smaller of $6,000 or the amount of your taxable compensation for 2010. This limit can be split between a traditional and a Roth IRA but the combined limit is $6,000. The maximum contribution to a Roth IRA and the maximum deductible contribution to a traditional IRA may be reduced depending upon your modified AGI.

1. Sponsored Links