Default Landlord Refusing Give Back Deposit

My question involves a security deposit in the State of: washington

We made a $400 deposit when we moved in. we gave her our 30 day written notice of our intent to leave. The last day of our cleaning, we did a walk through and the landlord said everything looked good, but she would not sign anything stating that it was approved, said she had to check for water leaks and electrical shorts before she could sign anything.
    While we were living there, we asked if we could paint the walls a light blue color to match the carpets, and she agreed that we could. She came over a few times and said she really liked the way it looked. But now she is saying it is like walking into a dark cave and she can't rent it.
    Also, she entered our premises without our permission while we were not at home. She used the excuse that it was an emergency, that she thought our dog was in trouble. When she could look through the window of the door, that had no curtain on it at the time, and see that the dog was in the crate.
    The second time was when we were out of town for a month, her assistant manager called us and told us that the landlord had turned off the water to our apartment cause it was cold and didn't want it to freeze. which was fine because the water turn off is in the basement, which only the landlord has access to. There is no entrance to the basement in our apartment. when came home, our electric baseboards were turned up and there was evidence that she had been there. We had everything turned off and unplugged in the apartment and had only been there 5 days before leaving for a month. but our electric bill was 75 dollars for those days. The landlord said she turned the baseboards cause she was afraid of our water freezing. even though she was suppose to have turned the water off.
    We also went 24 hours without hot water, after we notified her of the situation.
    She is refusing to give us back the deposit because she can't re-rent it because of the paint color of the living room and says that is stinks in the apartment like smoke and pets. We never smoked in there because my grandson has asthma and that would have put him in the hospital. And she approved the pets.
    Does she have a reason not to refund the deposit? what should we do?

Default Re: Landlord Refusing Give Back Deposit

Quote Quoting rightone1974
    View Post
    My question involves a security deposit in the State of: washington

We made a $400 deposit when we moved in. we gave her our 30 day written notice of our intent to leave. The last day of our cleaning, we did a walk through and the landlord said everything looked good, but she would not sign anything stating that it was approved, said she had to check for water leaks and electrical shorts before she could sign anything.
    While we were living there, we asked if we could paint the walls a light blue color to match the carpets, and she agreed that we could. She came over a few times and said she really liked the way it looked. But now she is saying it is like walking into a dark cave and she can't rent it.
    Also, she entered our premises without our permission while we were not at home. She used the excuse that it was an emergency, that she thought our dog was in trouble. When she could look through the window of the door, that had no curtain on it at the time, and see that the dog was in the crate.
    The second time was when we were out of town for a month, her assistant manager called us and told us that the landlord had turned off the water to our apartment cause it was cold and didn't want it to freeze. which was fine because the water turn off is in the basement, which only the landlord has access to. There is no entrance to the basement in our apartment. when came home, our electric baseboards were turned up and there was evidence that she had been there. We had everything turned off and unplugged in the apartment and had only been there 5 days before leaving for a month. but our electric bill was 75 dollars for those days. The landlord said she turned the baseboards cause she was afraid of our water freezing. even though she was suppose to have turned the water off.
    We also went 24 hours without hot water, after we notified her of the situation.
    She is refusing to give us back the deposit because she can't re-rent it because of the paint color of the living room and says that is stinks in the apartment like smoke and pets. We never smoked in there because my grandson has asthma and that would have put him in the hospital. And she approved the pets.
    Does she have a reason not to refund the deposit? what should we do?
    Sue the landlord in small claims. I'm a LL, and I doubt very much she can keep the entire security, and if I were you, sue for the entire amount. Unless there is something in the lease saying that the living room has to be re-painted offwhite again when you leave, you'll pervail on that as well.

There are many similar cases on daytime court TV shows every month, and tenants win most of them under similar circumstances.

1. Sponsored Links