Question Back Support Due Without a Prior Order to Pay

My question involves child support in the State of: Indiana/Kentucky

I am a single mom. I live in IN, while the NCP is in KY. We had our child in college. He was not at the hospital, and thus did not sign the birth certificate. Since that time, we have discussed adding him, but never got to it. Fast forward...he has since married and had three more children. Initially I did not pursue child support as we were both poor students, and I, naive, figured once he graduated and got on his feet he would begin helping me with expenses. This never happened. My child is now 9, and I've finally come to the realization that 1. he has no intentions of coming up with a reasonable amount that he can contribute on a regular basis, and 2. that my child deserves for him to contribute SOMETHING! To date, he has done no more than provide gifts on holidays, and allow her to visit part of her summer vacation, with little contact outside of that. So, I have pursued establishing an order. I have completed the necessary forms to have kentucky step in to enforce this pursuit. According to Indiana, KY will be the one to serve him, hold the court date and establish an order and eventually enforce it. This is a long process.

My question is, given that he is not on the bc, and we have no previous order, will KY establish any retro support due? If so, how far will KY go back? I know in IN, they will consider going back to birth considering he has at least expressed acknowledgment of paternity, and at the very least they will go back to the date of the original application for support assistance.

Also, does KY factor in his wife's income. or the children he has had since our child together?

Default Re: Back Support Due Without a Prior Order to Pay

Support is generally retro only to the date you actually filed.

His wife's income is of no matter at all. He may get a minor credit for subsequent children.

Default Re: Back Support Due Without a Prior Order to Pay

Thank you for your assistance. Can't believe I was so patient(read dumb)!!!

1. Sponsored Links