Question Proof of Insurance Ticket Procedures

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: California

First off I'd like to say love this forum, helped me out from google searches few years back getting information to fight a wrongfully issued ticket but I digress..

Recently, (I won't go into details on how stupid I got pulled over as it's extremely frustrating) I was pulled over for missing front license plate, but I was able to provide the plate which I had on my dashboard. Anyways, the 2 officers gave me a warning for that but stated my insurance paper date range was expired (few days past the expiration) and issued me a ticket no proof of insurance and non correctable. I had forgot to print out the most current proof of insurance paperwork, but oddly enough I had with me the receipt and confirmation of my renewing insurance account on a date that overlapped the expired date. Either way they didn't care and told me the judge MAY dismiss it, but no promises, if I prove that I had an up to date insurance and drove off.

Well that had me fuming since I am insured, and my first question is: are they able to call in to see if insurance is up to date or not at the time? I mean there has to be otherwise people can give them phony insurance paperwork, right?

Now the ticket is up on their website, and it shows fine of $800+ for the ticket! How do I proceed in getting this ticket dimissed as I have printed my proof of updated insurance? Do I schedule a court date and provide the corrected paperwork even though it's marked non correctable for the arraignment date appearance appointment? I tried looking through the website and all I get is self help hotline BS and no other phone numbers I can call. Either way there's administrative fee of $25 no matter if it's dismissed or corrected right?

I'm not sure how to go about this, though I've heard and read it's a simple matter. But I've noticed most of the threads and search results for correction ticket is they really don't have insurance at the time and looking to get out of it . Either way this is frustrating and takes time and money out of my pocket I guess for a silly mistake of not printing an up to date insurance piece of paper, my bad

Any advice and help would be appreciated, thanks very much in advance

Default Re: Proof of Insurance Ticket Procedures

Don't worry about it - while you *may* have to schedule a court appearance, as long as you can present a valid proof of insurance for the date when the alleged violation happened, there's a 99.99% of having the charge tossed out after paying the $25 admin fee even if the meter maid marks the violation as non-correctable. Call the court and ask if you need to schedule a court appearance for an insurance violation or if you can just show it to the clerk and take care of it there and then (if you're in LA area, check the sticky by CourtClerk, though)

By law, a driver is required to present VALID Proof of Insurance upon demand... But just because the card says the policy expires on such and such future date, does not necessarily mean that it is...

Nowadays, insurance companies are required to electronically report to the DMV when a policy is no longer in effect (expires, is not renewed or is cancelled). And some law enforcement agencies and courts are also linked to the (same) DMV system where they can look up whether a policy is/was in effect or not on a particular date.

Also, and although it doesn't seem to be the case here (but I'll post this for other posters who may come across this thread), any person who knowingly provides false evidence of financial responsibility (1) when requested by a peace officer pursuant to Section 16028 or (2) to the clerk of the court as permitted by subdivision (e) of Section 16028, including an expired or canceled insurance policy, bond, certificate of self-insurance, or assignment of deposit letter, is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not exceeding seven hundred fifty dollars ($750) or imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding 30 days, or by both that fine and imprisonment. (CVC 16030).

Thanks for the replies, I am in LA county and have read the sticky. I work really close to the assigned court, is there a specific area or "window" where the clerk resides and answer questions/look at things? I couldn't really find hours of operation for any specific department on the website. I don't need to call and bog the lines if I can just show up and ask a couple quick questions or even take care of this silly ticket outright. As you can tell I never had to appear in court just yet :P

That Guy, yeah I was pretty sure they had a system to check if insurance was valid or not, but I guess the officers were too lazy to check and wanted to just issue A ticket. Normally I'd just shrug off saying it's my fault, but the conditions that I was in that got me pulled over was just ridiculous...

hey. i have the same problem. i got a non correctable, no front license plate, expired insurance and no cats. all in all the fine was 1440, something.

i already had my car inspected by a state referee for the cats. and a proof of insurance that indicating that i was insured at the time i got pulled over.

i got a pulled over back in Jan. but i got an extension. and i went to the court last week and got an appointment to see the judge. the earliest they gave me is Dec. 1 2010

do i still i have to pay the fine on or before may 25 2010 despite of my the adjustment of court date/appointment date.
    and do i still have to send out the necessary documents to the court?

is the court date the same thing as an appointment to the judge? because i was inform by the clerk to disregard the court date. and just show up on Dec. 1.

please help.

Quote Quoting grez0r
    View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I am in LA county and have read the sticky. I work really close to the assigned court, is there a specific area or "window" where the clerk resides and answer questions/look at things? I couldn't really find hours of operation for any specific department on the website. I don't need to call and bog the lines if I can just show up and ask a couple quick questions or even take care of this silly ticket outright. As you can tell I never had to appear in court just yet :P
    Just look for the "traffic Window"... Its clearly labeled... or ask the people standing in line... I'm sure there will be quite a few of them.

Quote Quoting grez0r
    View Post
    That Guy, yeah I was pretty sure they had a system to check if insurance was valid or not, but I guess the officers were too lazy to check and wanted to just issue A ticket. Normally I'd just shrug off saying it's my fault, but the conditions that I was in that got me pulled over was just ridiculous...
    Again, the law requires us to present a valid proof of financial responsibility, "upon request", so they are under no obligation to look it up.

As for the reason you got stopped -no front plate-, that too is a legal requirement -nothing about it is ridiculous- and by you driving around without one which is properly mounted, you are subjecting yourself to being unnecessarily getting pulled over when the fact remains that its pretty easy to comply with that law.

Quote Quoting hubbysham
    View Post
    hey. i have the same problem. i got a non correctable, no front license plate, expired insurance and no cats. all in all the fine was 1440, something.

i already had my car inspected by a state referee for the cats. and a proof of insurance that indicating that i was insured at the time i got pulled over.

i got a pulled over back in Jan. but i got an extension. and i went to the court last week and got an appointment to see the judge. the earliest they gave me is Dec. 1 2010

do i still i have to pay the fine on or before may 25 2010 despite of my the adjustment of court date/appointment date.
    and do i still have to send out the necessary documents to the court?

is the court date the same thing as an appointment to the judge? because i was inform by the clerk to disregard the court date. and just show up on Dec. 1.

please help.
    hubbysham, typically, you're better off starting your own thread but I will quickly answer your question...

Your scheduled court appearance is called your arraignment at which time you can either plead guilty and pay the fine, plead not guilty and a court trial date will be scheduled for your case OR... and assuming you have proof of correction for the cats (the inspection certificate you received from referee station), proof of correction that your front plate has been installed (you can get that from any law enforcement agency) and proof that you were insured at the time of the stop (you can simply show your insurance card to the clerk/judge then all three citations will be dismissed upon payment of the $25 admin fee for each (a total of $75).

If you have any additional questions, please start a new thread...

1. Sponsored Links