Default Protesting UI Decision

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Wyoming

Hello my question involves a claim recently denied due to the fact I voluntary quit. I have a past UI claim open through WY for a combined wage claim. I recently took a job in Washington state through a temp agency which stopped me from recieving benefits. After two months with the company I voluntarily quit. Before any assumptions are made for me separating please let me explain the mitigating circumstances.

After two months of employment I had been dealing with verbal harrassment from a co-worker I was assigned to work with. I had talked to my supervisor and the temp agency on more than one occasion about the conditions I was under. The verbal harrassment quickly progressed to the co-worker physically pushing me when he was throwing a temper tantrum. The co-worker also had notified me he had been fired from a previous job for knocking out an employee.

Two months had past with numerous complaints and no changes made. The place of employment consisted of a very tight knit close group of friends. My position being the only outsourced through the temp agency. The temp agency had even said they had a high turn over rate for the position due to the working conditions. The situation finally boiled to a head. I voluntarily quit giving the complany and temp agency my notice.

Wait there's more!

My decision to separate was also supported by the hazardous work conditions. The company refused to provide proper PPE (personal protective equipment) required for the job. I did however provide the necessary tools required for my position (welder). I personally bought my own safety glasses and respirators.

Hazardous work environment also included numerous unsafe heavy load rigging practices. On a daily basis I was surrounded by dangerous rigging methods deemed violations by OSHA standards. One hundred percent of the rigging (chokers and straps) should have been red tagged out of service due to their damaged nature.

With the practices and unsafe equipment serious injury even death was inevitable. The safety concerns I constantly brought up were neglected. I was told they do things old fashioned and that "current methods aren't the safest but they get the job done". I'm a firm believer and have even witnessed priorities like production over safety results in serious injury even death. I have even thought about making an anonymous call to OSHA about the violations I have witnessed.

With all the combined problems I had with the company and no lay off insight I decided to separate. The situation with the co-worker was a disaster waiting to happen. I applied to continue my combined wage claim and was denied. Here's my reason for disqualification:

"You quit your job because you were having problems getting along with a supervisor or coworker. You have not shown that the situation was to the extent to cause you to abandon your job. Your reason for quitting does not constitute good cause directly attributable to your employment. You are disqualified effective 04-11-10."

I now have the opportunity to protest the decision. Jobs in my industry are far and few between. I'm hoping my appeal will help me get through until the next job. Any suggestions or input would be much appreciated. I thought I had a solid case to support my UI claim. I'm guessing the company may be trying to stick it to me. Thanks

Jun

Default Re: Protesting UI Decision

Did you keep any notes of dates, etc. where you notified the agency of the physical action? Did it ever happen again?

Did you complaing to the agency about the unsafe working conditions? In writing, would have helped. If not, it may be a he said/she said situation.

I kept track of the dates of incidents however the agency and employer never took the time aside to file an incident report. I was never given the opportunity to get anything in paper. The entire temp agency deal seemed crooked to begin with. I was afraid I was getting the short end of the deal. Disappointing because I took the job with a huge decrease in pay compared to UI benefits. Wish I would have stuck it out for something better! Is there anything I can do?

It would certainly be worth the time to appeal. Contact the agency and find out what you need to do to make your notes available for the hearing. It's likely the temp agency will need to get a copy, but I don't know the detailed procedure in your state.

I thought I'd give the appeal a shot. I've been gathering as many details I can prove. Thanks Patty. Anybody else can chime in too with suggestions! Thanks again.

1. Sponsored Links