Default How to Classify Medical Bills for SOL purposes

How are medical services classified for SOL determination purposes. We are in Georgia and the medical service took place in North Carolina. I know North Carolina is 3 years for written contracts and 3 years for open accounts. In Georgia where we live it is 6 years for written contracts and 4 years for open accounts. The service was back in 2001.

How are medical bills classified? Are they considered open accounts or written contracts? I have seen them explained as both.

I have also heard that there are no SOL's on medical bills because some hospitals get reimbursed from the states and federal government to recoup these loses and are not subject to SOL at all?

And just to confirm, the SOL activation date begins on date of service .... correct?

Any help clarifying this would be most apprecaited.

Default Re: How to Classify Medical Bills for SOL purposes

How would a medical bill be classified? It depends. If there is an open account, then the billing is for an open account. If there is a separate written contract for each service and no open account, then it is a contract.

The statute of limitations should apply to a health care provider's collection efforts. Whether or not a unit of government could attempt to obtain reimbursement for certain payments made is a separate issue.

The Statute of Limitations will normally run from the later of the last date service is provided, the date payment was due following the last provision of service, or the last date a payment was made.

1. Sponsored Links