Default Renter Broke Lease After 1 Week

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Michigan
    We own a tri-plex in Michigan. A new tentant gave a security dep 6 weeks ago to hold the apt. She and her boyfriend (and 2 children that she did not list n the lease) moved in. After 5 days, she called to tell us that she did not like the water pressure and wanted the house re-plumbed. It is a 165 year old home. We had lived there for 13 years and the pressure is fine, just not as strong as she liked. We told her that the pressure was actually controlled by village, and that all of the houses in town has the same type of pressure. She called the next day to tell us she was moving out in 2 days. Do I have to return her entire deposit and first month's rent?

Default Re: Renter Broke Lease After 1 Week

Do I have to return her entire deposit and first month's rent?
    First month's rent? Absolutely not. She does not get that back, she signed a contract and is bound to it. There's no "grace period" in which to break a lease without financial penalty.

You may also withhold the security deposit for unpaid rent if you do not find a new tenant right away.

Additionally, you may sue her for breach of contract and unpaid rent for however long it takes you to re-rent the place, provided you make a good faith effort to find a new tenant.

1. Sponsored Links