Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Misleading Advertising on the Part of a College

My question involves education law in the State of: Maryland

Hi,
    I attended a certain community college for a specific career program. I declared my major, signed up for the program, met with a counselor, and registered for classes that fulfilled the program's requirements.

The college's website states that preference is given to students who live in-county, then to students who live in-state. I live in-state but not in-county. What wasn't revealed online is that only one person who lived out-of-county has ever been admitted into the program due to the highly competitive nature of the program, which also wasn't mentioned online.

Even though nothing I was told was technically false, I feel scammed. No one at the college gave me any indication that entry into this program would be essentially impossible for me; if I had know that, I never would have attended this college in the first place. My mom sent an email to the college expressing my concerns, and they gave a technical response that didn't actually address any of our concerns.

I don't want to be a part of the program anymore; I just don't want other people to make the same mistake. I learned all this information when I attended the information session, which they only hold every few months. (That's why I had to register for classes before attending). There were many other out-of-county students there who were just as shocked and broken-hearted as I was. Is there anything I can do about this?

Default Re: Misleading Advertising on the Part of a College

You can certainly make suggestions to the University administration, but given the scant details you've provided, I'm not seeing any other option. Certainly not the school's fault you went off half-cocked without doing complete research about the program.

What sort of "program" are we talking about?

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    You can certainly make suggestions to the University administration, but given the scant details you've provided, I'm not seeing any other option. Certainly not the school's fault you went off half-cocked without doing complete research about the program.

What sort of "program" are we talking about?
    It was a program that allowed you to graduate from the college with a specific major. I did all of the research I could about the program online. I do regret not seeking out someone in the program directly to ask what my odds were.

I was kind of stupid, but I donít feel like thatís a good excuse for taking advantage of stupid people. Anyway, thank you, and I appreciate your response.

You were told the order of preference. You were not in the in county group with the highest preference. Why would it surprise you that you were not selected? Even if you had been in county there seems to have been no guarantee that you would be selected.

Did you actually ever pay anything?

And if you can't be honest and answer the questions, I suggest your only option is to contact an attorney that will give you the confidentiality you seem to need. We can't advise in the dark.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    You were told the order of preference. You were not in the in county group with the highest preference. Why would it surprise you that you were not selected? Even if you had been in county there seems to have been no guarantee that you would be selected.

Did you actually ever pay anything?
    Yes, I paid the college for all my classes this semester. I came here for this program and took classes specifically for the program.

Also, I wasnít selected because I never applied. However, I shaped my life around the false belief that I had an actual chance of entry. The college took my money and let me declare a major that I had virtually no chance of successfully studying at the school.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    And if you can't be honest and answer the questions, I suggest your only option is to contact an attorney that will give you the confidentiality you seem to need. We can't advise in the dark.
    Iím sorry, I thought I did answer your question. If you want more detail, it was a dental hygiene program. I wanted to be a dental hygienist. To do so, you need an associateís degree in Dental Hygiene, and there are only a handful of colleges in the state that provide that. Entry into the program is required in order to study that major at that college.

Quote Quoting Ara
    View Post
    Yes, I paid the college for all my classes this semester. I came here for this program and took classes specifically for the program.

Also, I wasn’t selected because I never applied. However, I shaped my life around the false belief that I had an actual chance of entry. The college took my money and let me declare a major that I had virtually no chance of successfully studying at the school.
    Then you have absolutely no claim. You really don't even have anything to be upset about. You can hardly blame the school for not accepting you into a program your never applied for.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Then you have absolutely no claim. You really don't even have anything to be upset about. You can hardly blame the school for not accepting you into a program your never applied for.
    Thatís not what Iím upset about. Iím upset that I, along with a lot of other students, spent hundreds of dollars and made major life decisions based on incomplete information that wasnít readily available.

I donít wish to be accepted into the program. I wish I had known to stay away from the program.

It was known that everyone that applied wasn't going to be accepted. If that wasn't the case why did you think they were telling you about preference by home location?

I'm betting what you paid for were transferable college credits or classes you needed to take to be able to earn transferable credits.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    It was known that everyone that applied wasn't going to be accepted. If that wasn't the case why did you think they were telling you about preference by home location?

I'm betting what you paid for were transferable college credits or classes you needed to take to be able to earn transferable credits.
    No they werenít. I didnít need any of the classes Iím taking this semester for the math degree that I was going to pursue. I already have enough general education requirements for the previous college I was attending.

I thought what they were telling me about preference was that it was a preference. In fact, itís a requirement. I didnít have access to this information until after it was too late to withdraw. The counselor I met with told me ďthe dental hygiene program is great here!Ē They let me put my name on a list for something I had no chance of ever recieving. They withheld information until they had taken my money and then refused to refund me.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast