Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How Long Does it Take for a Criminal Case to Go to Trial

Georgia:

I am wrapped up in a big case that involves felony charges for commercial gambling. I have a civil suit and a criminal suit filed against me and 4 others. The civil suit is trying to claim vehicles around ($150,000 value) and about $300,000 in cash. We were arrested on July 7th. They served us on July 18th with papers. Other than that we have had no court dates, the lawyers just tell me, "you will be the first to know something once we know." The thing is I am a Registered Nurse who cannot get a job because I have 12 felony arrest for commercial gambling. How long is it going to take before we find something out? I have no idea what to do, I've been out of work for 6 months, no one will hire me, because of the arrest record. How can they expect me to support my family, I am being treated like I am guilty until proven innocent, but they are dragging it out.

Default Re: How Long Till I Go to Court

Your lawyer said "you will be the first to know something once we know", so what makes you think some random person on an internet forum is privy to information, specific to your case, that neither you nor your lawyer is privy to? Sounds like you have bigger issues to concern yourself with other than employment.

I figured there was a time frame that things had to be done in, given the fact I am entitled to a quick and speedy trial. And actually employment is the biggest concern on my list. Have you any idea what it is like not to be able to buy your child Christmas, pay your bills, provide for your family? All I am asking is how long can they drag their feet with this?

Looks like a while given how many businesses and individuals were involved in this raid. This you guys? http://gbi.georgia.gov/press-release...ts-tift-county

Basically they charged us on not the store owners. but yes that is us

Either way, it looks like it was a lengthy investigation, numerous defendants, etc. It takes 2 months to go to Court for a speeding ticket. This is a much larger case, with more people involved and agencies, etc. The right to a speedy trial refers to your trial being delayed unnecessarily . Trials can be delayed for numerous reasons and are delayed (continued) all of the time. Perhaps the prosecution needs more time to build their case. In which, they request a continuance, and the Judge decides if it is a reasonable request. Just like the defense (you) can raise a legitimate issue and request a continuance.

So there is no time limit, its all up to them?

You can speak with your lawyer about asserting your speedy trial rights and why it might be better to waive those rights. See Ruffin v. State, 663 S.E.2d 189 (2008).

Don;t forget, OP - a delay by the prosecution gives you additional time to strengthen your defense. Don't be so quick to yell "speedy trial".

There honestly is no defense. The gist of the case is that we set legal devices called skill-nudge, requires skill. The locations give us a percentage of the profits. It is illegal to pay out cash in GA. They got caught paying out cash even though we signed contracts and told them it was illegal to pay cash, once they were busted, instead of charging them, they charged us. So as far as defense I don't really need much more, as they have to prove what we did wrong, which was nothing. The only thing I've learned from this is that the law is crooked and can do what they want, when they want.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast