Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can You Sue Your College if There Are Insufficient Jobs in Your Field for Graduates

My question involves education law in the State of: Massachusetts and more
    Since 2000 the number of pharmacy schools has essentially doubled and it is estimated that in the next 5-7 years there will be 93,000 more pharmacists than jobs. Many of the schools are for-profit schools which have admitted students with qualifications that would not have qualified them for a public school. Many of the students are coming out with 100K, 200K, and 300K of debt that they cannot pay back. Some of the new schools are funded by drug wholesalers and retail chains who are now cutting salaries and jobs and are splitting full-time jobs into two part-time jobs with no benefits as they have an unlimited supply of pharmacists. Do pharmacy schools have an obligation to cut enrollment if graduates have little or no prospect of a job? Can graduates sue?

Default Re: Too Many Pharmacy Schools No Jobs. Can Graduates Sue if They Can't Find a Job

It is incumbent on the individual to investigate job prospects before starting a course of study. Your failure to do so is not the fault of the schools.

Default Re: Too Many Pharmacy Schools No Jobs. Can Graduates Sue if They Can't Find a Job

Do pharmacy schools have an obligation to cut enrollment if graduates have little or no prospect of a job? No.

Can graduates sue? Not successfully.

For the reason why, see Shadowbunny's post.

I am sincere in my question and not trying to make a political point, why was Trump sued for Trump University if it is incumbent on the individual to investigate job prospects before starting a course of study?

Well, I can understand your frustration and to a small degree, you have a good point. However consider the ramifications if they did adjust the number of enrollments to match the projected number of openings. For arguments sake, let's say that amounts to 100000 students. Instead of becoming a pharmacist, they go into another field and overloads that instead. Perhaps they choose not to go to school at all and become ditch diggers - that drives the wages of the ditch diggers down to minimum wage or less. Who does the ditch digger sue? The government because we have too many ditches?

What about the lack of schools giving teleportation engineering degrees? I have been waiting for teleportation for years but the schools are not training the right type of engineers. Can I sue?

Sorry to stretch the obvious - but a suit like you describe would get laughed at by the judges. A better case would be to sue Oklahoma State University for graduating Dexter Manly even though he could not read or write. Does that not devalue everyone's degree who went there? Suppose I get an applicant come to me for a job and I turn him down because I see he went to that school and I figure they don't respect academics. If I had a degree from there, I would ask for a partial refund.

That was an entirely different thing. The lawsuit was not about graduates being unable to find jobs but about fraudulent contracts with the students. Unless you had a contract with the school guaranteeing you a job, you're comparing apples to oranges and even then it would be more like oranges and tangerines.

One of the problems I have seen in the years of working with training job applicants for specific jobs (and pharmacy is sort of the high end of this) is that there are a limited number of jobs in the area where the school is located, and IN THE AREA WHERE THE APPLICANTS WANT TO LIVE AND WORK. Once all fifty, or fifteen, or whatever, of the jobs in their immediate area are filled with med techs, or court reporters, or even pharmacists, the school would sort of quietly begin pointing out that yes, there were still jobs available in the field, but the candidates would probably have to be relocated to where there was a job opening, instead of going out and picking the job opening of their choice in the area of their choice.

A family member got a degree in special education in the early 1960's and had the experience of literally being given the option to live and work just about anywhere, because there were so many available jobs and so few qualified people. Now it is not the case in this field. There are very few jobs for which a college degree or a certification is a pure guarantee of available employment as soon as you graduate.

Suing is not the way to go. As someone pointed out, the reality checking about job prospects should've been done before the person signed up and took out all those debts. And once you have the degree, you should be willing to accept that you will have to go wide afield in search of a job that uses your training, or you will have to get out of the area of your training, regardless of what you may have believed before you took it.

Default Re: Can You Sue Your College if There Are Insufficient Jobs in Your Field for Graduat

Quote Quoting Jean5720
    View Post
    My question involves education law in the State of: Massachusetts and more
    Since 2000 the number of pharmacy schools has essentially doubled and it is estimated that in the next 5-7 years there will be 93,000 more pharmacists than jobs. Many of the schools are for-profit schools which have admitted students with qualifications that would not have qualified them for a public school. Many of the students are coming out with 100K, 200K, and 300K of debt that they cannot pay back. Some of the new schools are funded by drug wholesalers and retail chains who are now cutting salaries and jobs and are splitting full-time jobs into two part-time jobs with no benefits as they have an unlimited supply of pharmacists. Do pharmacy schools have an obligation to cut enrollment if graduates have little or no prospect of a job? Can graduates sue?
    When I first posted, you had no details in your post, only the headline. Yet my answer remains the same. And would be the same for ANY student who embroils themselves in that much debt without first doing sufficient research to see what the job prospects are for that sort of investment.

How would you suggest an 18-year-old go about this? There is a paucity of data. These are citizens who are not deemed responsible enough to drink alcohol or rent a car, yet they start taking out loans that eventually cost more than a home in certain parts of the country. How does someone at this age have the savy to research what job projections and supply of workers will be in 6 or 7 years? Believe me this data is well hidden and schools are not warning students before they enroll.

You're telling me 18 year olds don't know how to use Google?

Go to your favorite search engine. Type in these words; "Job projections for pharmacists".

Or try; "Pharmacists - Bureau of Labor Statistics."

The information is there. There is STILL no requirement that schools "warn" students about job prospects before they enroll.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast