Default How to Document Negative Encounters With the Police

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Texas

If you are having interactions/incidents that you feel should be documented, to keep a history or record of the progress. Say someone is being offence or making inappropriate comments or insinuates veiled threats etc etc. You don't want to do anything now, but in case it gets worse you want to be able to show that it's not just a one time thing but a pattern.

Is there a good way to keep notes on this? A simple way would be just a text or Word document with date entries, but I think someone could easily dismiss that saying it's trivial to alter a text document retrospectively (that you could easily type up a page with 4 date entries). Is there a way that can't be easily dismissed, that would show more concretely that the entries were made on the actual dates and the contents could not have been altered later on?

(After discussing elsewhere it looks like even the created or modified dates on computer files can be altered so even those are not very reliable)

Thank you.

Default Re: Recommended Way to Document?

If you are threatened. You need to call the police. They may or may not file an incidence report. If you to go to court. You can get copies of these reports as proof

Quote Quoting implicit
    View Post
    Is there a way that can't be easily dismissed, that would show more concretely that the entries were made on the actual dates and the contents could not have been altered later on?
    Texas is a one party consent state for the recording of oral and electronic conversation.

If somebody is personally threatening you on the phone or to your face, you may secretly record the conversation.

https://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recor...te-guide/texas

While even a recorded conversation can be edited it is less likely to be successfully challenged as long as the original remains on the original medium even if duplicates are made.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Texas is a one party consent state for the recording of oral and electronic conversation.

If somebody is personally threatening you on the phone or to your face, you may secretly record the conversation.

https://www.rcfp.org/reporters-recor...te-guide/texas

While even a recorded conversation can be edited it is less likely to be successfully challenged as long as the original remains on the original medium even if duplicates are made.
    Good suggestion. If I make a written documentation anywhere (like a log maybe), will that have any weight in the future?
    I don't want to record every interaction, so I was thinking if anything happens again, I could start writing notes somewhere if needed in the future.

Quote Quoting implicit
    View Post
    Good suggestion. If I make a written documentation anywhere (like a log maybe), will that have any weight in the future?
    Just as much as your oral testimony based on memory. Both can be challenged as biased and self serving and be a he said - she said thing whether you wrote it down or not.

Quote Quoting implicit
    View Post

I don't want to record every interaction, so I was thinking if anything happens again, I could start writing notes somewhere if needed in the future.
    If you are having that much difficulty with a particular individual that you feel the need to record or log what he or she says to you, then it's you that needs to figure out a way to remove yourself from those interactions.

Or just tell the person you object to the behavior the first time it happens.

It would help to know the specifics of your situation.

BTW, it is possible to determine the initial date that a Word doc was created. Not necessarily all subsequent updates (other than the last one at any given time) but the actual creation date, yes.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Just as much as your oral testimony based on memory. Both can be challenged as biased and self serving and be a he said - she said thing whether you wrote it down or not.
    That makes sense and that's the impression I had anyway. Thanks.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    BTW, it is possible to determine the initial date that a Word doc was created. Not necessarily all subsequent updates (other than the last one at any given time) but the actual creation date, yes.
    Okay, appreciate it.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post

It is also very easy to create a document that looks like it was created at almost any point in the past or future. Simply change the date on your computer and create the document.

I had employee once who said I had previously sent them a document in 2008. The only reason I could prove I didn't is that the meta data showed it was created with a version of Word that had yet to be invented in 2008.

True enough, however, given the facts that the OP has described, I think it unlikely that anyone will be doing much forensic analysis on any notes the OP takes. And quite frankly, there are few options available to the average Joe and Josie that can't theoretically be faked in some way - one is no more likely than any other.

1. Sponsored Links