Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default The Custodial Parent May Be Abusing Prescription Drugs

State of CA:
    My husband and his ex have had difficulties in the past about custody. There was about $10K spent on our part to keep her as little as possible because of the type of person/mother she was/is. After awhile things cooled down and she seemed normal and everyone was being cordial.
    Today, she dropped her phone in our driveway. My step son had a football game and we were out of town for family. She stopped by our house and picked up his stuff for football. We got there about an hour later to get some water and cleaned before leaving for the game (across the street). I didn't the phone until we were leaving. I saw it and picked it up. I didn't know it was hers until I opened it up. I read her text messages because honestly, I was nosey. But what I didn't expect was what I read.
    She talks about her addiction to pain killers (vicodin, Norco). These aren't her prescriptions. She has about 3 drug dealers that she gest them from and from what it sounds like she hooks people up with pills as well.
    This last Friday, yesterday, she had the PGE (electricity) turned off for non payment and scraped money just enough to get by. She has messages in there about her sleeping while her 10 year old watches her 4 year old. There have been times where my step son has had to watch the 4 year old (when the 4 year old was even just months old [changing her, getting her a bottle, and entertaining her until mom got up) because his mom was sleeping.
    She has messages in there about hiding pills from her husband and talking to someone about blood, veins, blue veins and red veins. I don't know if this is in reference to shooting up or what. This was a problem when husband and her were married. She wanted to do drugs to "wake up" and he didn't like that. This was mentioned in court in the beginning but because she hasn't been arrested and charged with any drugs then it was a no go.
    Is there anything my husband can do? I mean, things have been going fine when we thought things were fine but obviously there is a bunch of shit going on. And I really hate for my husband to stir the pot and then it backfire on us.
    Thanks

Default Re: Prescription Pills That Aren't Moms

I would let your husband handle it. He is the parent, you are not. I would suggest that he and the mother sit down and have a talk. She is going to be pissed that you went through her phone, so don't be surprised! But... She may seek help for her addictions, but that's less likely if se feels attacked. Do what's best for the children, but leave it up to your husband to take action if need be.

You opened up the phone and read her texts - what's to say you didn't write the incriminating stuff?

This is a perfect example of why MYOB is so important.

OP, you are way out of line. What gives you the right to read her private messages? You need to myob, seriously.

My husband and I will do this together. Of course his name will be on all the paperwork but still. Husband and mom don't have the relationship that he can talk to her. Also found pictures on there that are inappropriate on there.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it was in my driveway. Already talk with the Sheriffs and they say I had the right. Nothing illegal about it.
    Thank God I did because there was inappropriate pictures of my step son on there. The CPS has been notified and they are running an investigation on her.

- - - Updated - - -

Dog- because there is a FB post about her losing her phone on the 30th and these texts were written as far back as the 24th... it wasn't in my possession. And read above: inappropriate pictures of step son.
    You know I thought this group was helpful but in reality it's mainly about personal opinion. CPS and the Sheriffs said I did the right thing and they know the court system and such more than you guys do. Sorry but all I have been is attacked for this post, when I did the right thing.

- - - Updated - - -

And FYI, dealing prescription drugs that aren't yours is a felony.

Quote Quoting mrshiggins
    View Post
    My husband and I will do this together. Of course his name will be on all the paperwork but still. Husband and mom don't have the relationship that he can talk to her. Also found pictures on there that are inappropriate on there.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it was in my driveway. Already talk with the Sheriffs and they say I had the right. Nothing illegal about it.
    Thank God I did because there was inappropriate pictures of my step son on there. The CPS has been notified and they are running an investigation on her.

- - - Updated - - -

Dog- because there is a FB post about her losing her phone on the 30th and these texts were written as far back as the 24th... it wasn't in my possession. And read above: inappropriate pictures of step son.
    You know I thought this group was helpful but in reality it's mainly about personal opinion. CPS and the Sheriffs said I did the right thing and they know the court system and such more than you guys do. Sorry but all I have been is attacked for this post, when I did the right thing.

- - - Updated - - -

And FYI, dealing prescription drugs that aren't yours is a felony.
    What CPS and the sheriff think could be very different than what a family law court judge thinks. If this CPS investigation doesn't come to anything then you may find out the hard way that snooping in mom's phone was a very bad idea.

If CPS doesn't find anything we won't pursue anything... it won't be known. The fact that I looked in her phone is totally anonymous and the only people who know is the CPS lady who isn't even putting it into the report that I contacted her. Mom doesn't know where she lost her phone so she has no idea we have it.
    It's not what they think, it's what they know. I didn't evade her privacy because it was on my property.

Whoever fed you that line is delusional.

The phone being on your property DID NOT give you the right to snoop.

Oh, you still haven't returned the phone?

Peachy.

Quote Quoting mrshiggins
    View Post
    If CPS doesn't find anything we won't pursue anything... it won't be known. The fact that I looked in her phone is totally anonymous and the only people who know is the CPS lady who isn't even putting it into the report that I contacted her. Mom doesn't know where she lost her phone so she has no idea we have it.
    It's not what they think, it's what they know. I didn't evade her privacy because it was on my property.
    Yes, you darn well did. If she had left court papers there, it wouldn't have been your place to snoop. If she left her computer there, it wouldn't have been your place to snoop. You did it because you could, and because you just couldn't help yourself. I'd turn the phone over to the police if I were you, as you knowingly have her property, and phones can be traced quite easily these days.

The Sheriff gave me that line.
    The phone is now with CPS as they will do their investigation.

Are any of you lawyers or law enforcement for California? If not, then please don't respond as you don't know the laws.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast