Default License Suspension Due to Insurance Company's Claim for Compensation from an Accident

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: tn
    Applying for a new job and I need my DL to be valid.... I know it has been suspended. I also do know that it hasn't been the smartest thing in the world to be driving with it In that status. But never the less I was in construction and never really needed it, but here I am now!

To my knowledge a insurance company placed a hold on my DL ( the other persons insurance company) for a wreck that occurred in 2000. When I contacted the state to inquire in reinstatement they told me I need to either get a release from the company or bring a notarized letter stating that I have not been sued. To date I have never been served any papers and my address has always been available. So I don't think I have been sued, maybe just had some sort of judgement or something.
    My questions:
    Is there a statute of limitations? I mean its been a early 15 years
    How do I obtain a letter stating I've not been sued? Is it something I can type up myself and have notarized?
    I've tried contacting a few companies but can't even find out who has the hold.

At my wits end any help would be awesome

Default Re: Notarized Letter

Quote Quoting Bike Racer
    View Post
    When I contacted the state to inquire in reinstatement they told me I need to either get a release from the company or bring a notarized letter stating that I have not been sued.
    You can bet that the insurance company isn't going to give you a release unless you pay the claim so I wouldn't even bother trying to contact the insurance company unless you have the money and are willing to pay. But why do that if you don't have to.

Quote Quoting Bike Racer
    View Post
    Is there a statute of limitations? I mean its been a early 15 years
    The statute of limitations for a personal injury lawsuit is one year in TN. See 28-3-104 (a) (1):

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennesse...rt-1/28-3-104/

For damage to property it's 3 years. 28-3-105 (1):

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennesse...rt-1/28-3-105/

So it's way too late for anybody to file and win a lawsuit against you.

Quote Quoting Bike Racer
    View Post
    How do I obtain a letter stating I've not been sued? Is it something I can type up myself and have notarized?
    Probably.

But first I suggest you get on the website of your county court and run a case search under your name. Print out the results or lack of results.

Then get all three of your credit reports from www.annualcreditreport.com to show that there are no lawsuits, judgments, collection accounts for the claim (etc).

It's one thing to create your own notarized letter but be prepared with the additional documentation because you are dealing with bureaucrats at the DMV.

Quote Quoting Bike Racer
    View Post

I've tried contacting a few companies but can't even find out who has the hold.
    The DMV couldn't tell you that?

Default Re: Notarized Letter

They said because it is so old that they could not give me that information. I have actually had a credit report pulled recently and nothing showed on there. So per your advice it looks like I am down to the clerks office for results/ lack of results then provide a notarized letter.

And I want to say ty for taking the time to put your input. It is much appreciated!

1. Sponsored Links