Default Former Employer Wrote Lies About Me to Current Employer

My question involves defamation in the state of: California

Two years ago I left a company and went to a competitor. Recently my former boss, who is the owner of the company, wrote the President of my current company and said I stole client information when I left and have been proactively soliciting their clients. Firstly, none of that is true (I donít even proactively engage clients) and secondly my former boss knows companies belong to the same industry associations and we receive client lists from those associations on a regular basis. While my boss told me not to worry about it Iím concerned about my reputation. I work in a very small industry (over 25 years now) and this kind of accusation could be damaging.

Default Re: Former Employer Wrote Lies About Me to Current Employer

Quote Quoting alexnjnyc
    View Post
    My question involves defamation in the state of: California

Two years ago I left a company and went to a competitor. Recently my former boss, who is the owner of the company, wrote the President of my current company and said I stole client information when I left and have been proactively soliciting their clients. Firstly, none of that is true (I don’t even proactively engage clients) and secondly my former boss knows companies belong to the same industry associations and we receive client lists from those associations on a regular basis. While my boss told me not to worry about it I’m concerned about my reputation. I work in a very small industry (over 25 years now) and this kind of accusation could be damaging.
    There really isn't anything that you can do unless you are actually damaged, and so far, since your boss said not to worry about it, you are not damaged.

Default Re: Former Employer Wrote Lies About Me to Current Employer

Though it might be worth a couple of hundred to have a defamation attorney write a scary letter to former boss just for S & G.

Up to you, Alex.

1. Sponsored Links