Default Are Recorded Calls to Government Entities Public Records

Florida has a two-party consent law, so both parties must consent/be notified a phone call is being recorded prior to the recording.

However, recorded phone calls by a government agency are considered public records in Florida.

So, would that mean that if I made a call to a government body (like a police station, or police chief) on their government line I would be able to record and publish the phone call without notifying the opposite party?

tl;dr: Can I record the phone call of a government entity without notifying said entity of recording despite two-party consent?

Default Re: Are Recorded Calls to Government Entities Public Records

Quote Quoting RandomQuestions
    View Post
    Can I record the phone call of a government entity without notifying said entity of recording despite two-party consent?
    No.

If they're using a public phone (government owned) and if they're discussing government business, is that not public information?

If the government recorded the call, it might be a public record. That depends on the nature of the call in question. But it's a public record because the call is in the hands of the government. The recording you make is not a public record. Moreover, whether something is a public record or not does not tell you what acts to create those records are legal. Florida has a law that makes recording of certain communications illegal. If you violate that law, you risk the consequences. Whether or not that call might later become a public record by passing into the hands of the government would not absolve you of the illegal act you did in recording it.

1. Sponsored Links