Default Husband's Corporate Tax Lien on My Credit Report

I live in GA. My husband's two dissolved corporations owe back payroll taxes. Due to this, tax liens have been levied against the corporations and put on my husband's credit report. On the lien, beside "Name of Taxpayer" is the name of the corporation, and it is specified as a corporation. My husband's name is listed underneath that. One of these liens has shown up on my credit report. Am I personally responsible for the payroll taxes? We always file joint tax returns. Can my property or our joint property be levied? My name is not on the tax lien. Should it have been reported and put on my credit report?

Thanks,
    Faye

Default Re: Husband's Corporate Tax Lien on My Credit Report

What was your relationship to the corporation(s)? Were you a shareholder or an officer? Has the IRS assigned any of the corporation's tax liability to you personally? Who is the reporting agency that logged this against your credit report?

I have no relationship to the corporations. I am a stay-at-home mom. I was not an officer nor a shareholder. I have never received anything from the IRS concerning these taxes. My name appears nowhere on the Federal Tax Lien. It appears Equifax obtained the information from my hometown courthouse. It was reported May of 1998.

Thanks.

Quote Quoting concerned spouse
    View Post
    I have no relationship to the corporations. I am a stay-at-home mom. I was not an officer nor a shareholder. I have never received anything from the IRS concerning these taxes. My name appears nowhere on the Federal Tax Lien. It appears Equifax obtained the information from my hometown courthouse. It was reported May of 1998.

Thanks.
    You should contact Equifax and ask them to remove the information from your credit report as it does not pertain to you.

However, yes, your joint assets CAN be seized to pay the outstanding tax. Anything that has your husband's name on it can be seized.

Tax liens from 1998 shouldn't still be on your credit report. You should dispute that with the credit reporting agency. Also, if it was recorded only in your husband's name, I'm curious how Equifax would have associated it with your credit report in the first place. But it's too old to still be reported according to what you've said. It's also too old for the IRS to collect on unless you or your husband agreed somewhere along the way to extend the SOL on the debt.

Thanks! I believe you are correct about it being too old. However, my husband has some more recent liens from around 2004. They are also only in his name and business. Even if they don't show up on my credit report, am I still responsible for his business payroll tax debt if we have filed jointly for the years in question. It was corporate debt, however he was the sole officer of the corporation. It was mainly set up as a corporation as a shield against us personally. Thanks.

Quote Quoting concerned spouse
    View Post
    Thanks! I believe you are correct about it being too old. However, my husband has some more recent liens from around 2004. They are also only in his name and business. Even if they don't show up on my credit report, am I still responsible for his business payroll tax debt if we have filed jointly for the years in question. It was corporate debt, however he was the sole officer of the corporation. It was mainly set up as a corporation as a shield against us personally. Thanks.
    If you had no connection to the corporation, you are not responsible for the business payroll tax debt no matter what. The fact that you file a joint return is irrelevant.

1. Sponsored Links