Default No Way to Actually Dispute This Debt

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Minnesota. A university wants me to pay for a class that I dropped before the required date. I have disputed the debt, however it keeps coming up. When I asked to have access to my student email to show proof that I had dropped in time, I was told that I could have the access, but that all of my previous correspondence would have been deleted. What is my recourse? At this point I am being forced to pay for a class that I didn't take because I have no way to prove otherwise.

Default Re: No Way to Actually Dispute This Debt

Recourse for what?

Why do you think you're "being forced to pay"? Who is forcing you and how? Is something threatening your family or holding a gun to your head?

If you believe you dropped the class in time such that you shouldn't have to pay for it, then don't pay for it.

Default Re: No Way to Actually Dispute This Debt

Quote Quoting glkupka24
    View Post
    My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Minnesota. A university wants me to pay for a class that I dropped before the required date. I have disputed the debt, however it keeps coming up. When I asked to have access to my student email to show proof that I had dropped in time, I was told that I could have the access, but that all of my previous correspondence would have been deleted. What is my recourse? At this point I am being forced to pay for a class that I didn't take because I have no way to prove otherwise.
    There's a lesson in there that everybody should learn about better record keeping. Computers have big hard drives, scanners are cheap and so are back up drives. There's really no excuse for not keep every document you generate no matter for how long.

As to why you are being forced. Do you still attend the university? Are they holding grade reports or transcripts hostage? Any reason you can't just say "Don't owe it. Not paying. Stuff it."

1. Sponsored Links