Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Gift Card Refund Denied

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

I might be making this a big deal, but this is not about the amount, but the principle. I am curious if I can do anything else or just end it. So today I went to Macy's local store (I bought some things online and was left with like $6 bucks on a Macy's gift card). I requested it since it was under $10 if I can just have the cash since I want to throw the gift card away. Associate looks at me lost than calls the manager and comes out rude (acting like I was going to scam them for $6). I ask for the store number and leave. Having a hard time trying to get ahold of Macys corporate # I got ahold of corporate in the end and was straight out denied despite that this is a law in California stating that this is Macy's policies etc. She didn't seem like she cared much so I was curious can I do anything else here? Anyone I can contact and get ahold of in the state of California to look into this? Would the BBB help out in anyway? Its not about the money, but the principle that if their is a law that it should be abided. Like in Gamestop (I didnt even request it I was surprised). I used a gift card to buy a game and it had like $3 in change the guy gave me the rest in cash so I could dispose the gift card. I posted a picture that even Jack in the Box (I seen it around) has that stated.

I came around through this article and it seems that I would have to go through a small claims court (link of an interesting article: https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014...rd-refund-law/)

“There’s not much a consumer can do, other than file a lawsuit in small claims court,” he said. “And most people won’t do that for a couple dollars.”

Not going to go to court for this obviously. So any other options? Would emailing corporate help (getting ahold higher up maybe). Anyone I can contact in the state of California that can do something about this. I mean if its a law that has been enacted it should be followed. Also its not about the money, but about the principle here. I was burned once a while back when a store closed never used the gift card and lost the money. The way Macys is doing who knows what can happen in the long run.

Default Re: Gift Card Refund Denied

Quote Quoting li/<o
    View Post
    Also its not about the money, but about the principle here.

Bull. It's always about the money. If you think otherwise, go back to Macy's and buy something for $6. Then get over it.

But if you can admit that it's about the money, write to one of the top executives:

https://macysinc.com/about/management-team

Macy's Inc.
    7 W Seventh St
    Cincinnati, OH 45202

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Bull. It's always about the money. If you think otherwise, go back to Macy's and buy something for $6. Then get over it.

But if you can admit that it's about the money, write to one of the top executives:

https://macysinc.com/about/management-team

Macy's Inc.
    7 W Seventh St
    Cincinnati, OH 45202
    It really isnt I mean its just $6 and yes I could of bought something, but the way I was treated felt like they thought I was some scammer it was just $6. I mean laws like this are to protect us the consumers. Thanks for the link anyone else I can contact? Anyone in my state you think BBB?

The BBB won't (and aren't legally able) to do anything. They have no authority.

Many states have a consumers affairs department in the state attorneys general office that would handle complaints such as this. That is who would prosecute a violator as well so I suggest contacting the california AG and ask them about it.

I can't help noticing that the sign says "May receive" and not "must receive".

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I can't help noticing that the sign says "May receive" and not "must receive".
    It’s the consumers option. If it was a must recieve statement, it would mean the store is stating it would be required to give a cash out of the remainder of any card with less than a $10 balance. That isn’t what the law demands.

I'm aware the law does not require that. It's kind of the point.

A "must" statement can still be dependent on a customer opt.

Signs in fast food restaurants are not normative law.

The actual law is in the civil code section 1749.5.

(b) (1) Any gift certificate sold after January 1, 1997, is redeemable in cash for its cash value, or subject to replacement with a new gift certificate at no cost to the purchaser or holder.
    (2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), any gift certificate with a cash value of less than ten dollars ($10) is redeemable in cash for its cash value.

So you see, that if the card was sold in 1997 or later, it's redeemable for cash no matter HOW MUCH is on it. It's only ones sold before that which are subject to the $10 cap.

If the card has $6 on it and it was initially sold in California, they must redeem it for cash.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Many states have a consumers affairs department in the state attorneys general office that would handle complaints such as this. That is who would prosecute a violator as well so I suggest contacting the california AG and ask them about it.
    Thank you very much i just found it on Google with the information you provided will give them a call. I also sent a message to corporate showing them the civil code section see what they tell me.

I had a gift card from Gamestop had like around $3 left and the associate gave me the rest in cash. What surprised me was when I finally got ahold of the corporate office seem like an office clerk was how even when I stated the state of California had a law she ignorantly said Macy's doesnt have that in their policies. I fully understand, but if their is a law that is stated being federal or state it needs to be followed. She didn't want to look into it (which the few times I have contacted corporate they do look into matters of those). All I can do is contact corporate (which I did) and now the state. Will keep you guys updated much appreciated for all the advice and help I have been given.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast