Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Can I Give My Child More Than Three Names

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Texas
    I am very curious about the laws of names and similar things. I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but is it legal to name a child with more than the standard first, middle, and last names? Example: John Michael Samuel Aaron Doe

Default Re: Can I Give My Child More Than Three Names

Sure, you are free to make your child's like a pain in the butt.

I can't even conceive why anyone would think this wouldn't be legal (or that there would be laws on the subject). My wife and kids all have multiple middle names, and it causes no problems whatsoever (much less making their lives "a pain in the butt").

I wouldn't make it a thing that was public, more like a fun little Easter egg of sorts on the birth certificate. I could still classify him/her as (example) John Michael Doe for school and other things, right? I wouldn't want to make it a pain, I just liked the idea of giving a child a long name that means something cool.

Quote Quoting Magical_Breadicorn
    View Post
    I wouldn't make it a thing that was public, more like a fun little Easter egg of sorts on the birth certificate. I could still classify him/her as (example) John Michael Doe for school and other things, right? I wouldn't want to make it a pain, I just liked the idea of giving a child a long name that means something cool.

Since the changes that have come to pass in the last several years regarding ID everything that is on the birth certificate is going to be on all of their ID forever.

Legal documents aren't the place for easter eggs.

View Post
    "For school and other things." The official school record and things like drivers licenses and passports are going to have the child's full, legal name (and "other things" obviously depend on what they are), but nothing generally requires anyone to use the full legal name. I've got a middle name and never use it or my middle initial for anything (unless I absolutely have to).

View Post
    That long name would appear on their birth certificate and Social Security card. As a result of that, your child is going to have confusion happen with what is their actual last name on official records. The first name won't be much of a problem, but the last name will get questioned and mistakes will be made.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    "For school and other things." The official school record and things like drivers licenses and passports are going to have the child's full, legal name (and "other things" obviously depend on what they are), but nothing generally requires anyone to use the full legal name. I've got a middle name and never use it or my middle initial for anything (unless I absolutely have to).
    Have you gotten your Fed approved state ID?

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Have you gotten your Fed approved state ID?
    Yup, and that's one of the things where I "absolutely have to" use the middle name.

View Post
    My question involves name change laws in the State of: Texas
    I am very curious about the laws of names and similar things. I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but is it legal to name a child with more than the standard first, middle, and last names? Example: John Michael Samuel Aaron Doe
    It is legal. The U.S. does not dictate rules for names like some other nations do. You may make the child's name as long as you want. Of course longer names can cause some difficulty. Some computer systems, for example, are not set up well to handle names with multiple middle names or compounded last names. And some documents may not have enough space to put the entire name on them.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast