Default How to Transfer a Three Year Old Title in Va

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Virginia

About three years ago my parents signed a vehicle over to me and marked it as sold to the DMV. I never transferred the title and never registered the vehicle, the original title is now void, how can I transfer this vehicle to my name? What do we need to do? Can my parents still get a replacement title if they marked it as sold?

Default Re: How to Transfer a Three Year Old Title in Va

Yes, the while Virginia titles will time out, the owner can call them and restore the status.

I suggest that the easiest and fastest way is for you and your parents to take that old title and visit your local DMV office.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    I suggest that the easiest and fastest way is for you and your parents to take that old title and visit your local DMV office.
    I agree. The worst case scenario is that you will get information as to how to fix the problem. The best case scenario, and the most likely, is that you will actually fix the problem with all parties present.

Actually, I would disagree with both AJ and LL here. The DMV offices in Virginia are hell holes. You'll waste time and get no further along with the process by visiting them.

Your parents are still the owners of record. They need to contact the DMV via the contact link on the website (dmvnow.com) or by phone and ask what they have to do to get the title reinstated to them. Both are quite responsive for government agencies. Once they have the title restored to them, you can start this whole mess again and do it properly.

I'm surprised that they haven't been hit up for the property tax. Most of the Virginia counties are pretty aggressive.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Yes, the while Virginia titles will time out, the owner can call them and restore the status.
    Can you expand on that? How does a certificate of title time out?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Can you expand on that? How does a certificate of title time out?
    Virginia does that when the car that is titled isn't registered for several years. I've got a car that I was restoring and didn't see the need to maintain registration as it wasn't on the road. They cease to be normally accessible for things like requesting duplicates. Some computer thing I suspect. The DMV people can wake it up and get it back in the system and then you can proceed.

Seems odd but thanks for the added info.

I think they do the same thing here in AR.

1. Sponsored Links