Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Taking a Driving Test in a Vehicle You Don't Own

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Florida.

I arrived in Florida on December 29th last year and until now I couldn't get my driver's license and I still suffering from abstinence (because I used to drive a manual car), because I was still in adaptation process to the new country. Okay, now I know that I must get my license. I have all the necessary documents for the exams (yes I'm Permanent Resident) but I still have some questions.

Unfortunately now I only could get appointments for Lauderdale Lakes (for May 3rd) and now there's not more dates anymore. In Palm Beach County there's not new appointments (I'm from Lake Worth Beach). Last week I went to a department office to ask some questions and the woman said that I could rent a car and go for doing the tests (because the place is 37 miles away from home) with my Brazilian driver's license. My Brazilian driver's license I have since 2016 and is still valid. Until now the only car rental agency that accepted was the Alamo. Okay, would be better for borrowing some car but the only car that would be available is broken (my father's C-Class). In Brazil the process is very different (and much more expensive, almost 2 months of average wage) and is possible (and required) using any car by a fleet by some driving school. In Florida would be possible to use a fleet car by a office for the driving exam? I also thought in practicing for the exam but I don't know if I could do that with my Brazilian license (Turo accepted me).

And I also don't know if would be allowed to using a car by Turo for the exam. What advices would you give me for this? There will be new more appointments? I'm sorry in case of any confusion as well as some unpleasantness .

Thanks for attention,
    Lanpenn

Default Re: My Future Driver's License

Are you asking if you can take your driving test using a rental car? If you can take the test while driving a car borrowed from a private driver's education company? The driving test is based upon your ability to drive, not whether you're the title owner of the car that you drive for the test.

Default Re: Taking a Driving Test in a Vehicle You Don't Own

Quote Quoting Lanpenn
    View Post
    What advices would you give me for this?
    Find a reputable driving school and ask UP FRONT if you would be able to take the driving test in their car and if they set the appointment.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Are you asking if you can take your driving test using a rental car?
    Yes. The weird thing is that I asked to a guard from Tax Collector and he said that I must to drive with a person with Florida license if I rent a car, and the woman of the DMV from West Palm Beach said that I could rent with my license...

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you can take the test while driving a car borrowed from a private driver's education company? The driving test is based upon your ability to drive, not whether you're the title owner of the car that you drive for the test.
    Yes, I know (I drove for 2 years in Brazil and I still know how to operate a car with manual transmission and something else). Seems a good suggestion, but now I made an appointment for the driving exam to July this year (the written test to June) and my stepmother can go with me to the driving exam.

Quote Quoting Lanpenn
    View Post
    Yes. The weird thing is that I asked to a guard from Tax Collector and he said that I must to drive with a person with Florida license if I rent a car, and the woman of the DMV from West Palm Beach said that I could rent with my license...
    it isn’t up to the dmv to determine whether a rental agency will rent to you or not. It is completely up to the rental agency. It is also up to the rental agency to establish the rules of whether they will rent to you based on your foreign drivers license or what rules they may impose upon you.

One thing i suggest youncheck:

call the dmv and ask if your foreign license will remain valid given the time since you’ve been in Florida and especially given the time until your driving test. You may be required to obtain a temporary permit given the time you’ve already been in state.

If your foreign license remains valid or was issued a temporary permit, you wouldn’t need a licensed rider with you while driving a car.

I called the DMV few weeks ago but I didn't understand anything (the quality was terrible) and also the person didn't attend me well. I sent another e-mail and then they answered me this:

"Yes, you can legally drive in Florida with a Brazilian driver license and accompanying International translation slip, which you can obtain from any AAA Auto Club location. Hopefully this information will assist you. "

I'll make the the theoretical test next Monday, I hope I pass.

They actually told you wrong. With a Brazilian DL you would need to get the international DL from the CBA http://www.cba.org.br/ Brazil's equivalent of the AAA.

Good luck on the test.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    They actually told you wrong. With a Brazilian DL you would need to get the international DL from the CBA http://www.cba.org.br/ Brazil's equivalent of the AAA.

Good luck on the test.
    I’m not sure of that since an “international drivers license” isn’t actually a license. It is simply a translation of the holders already existing foreign license. I don’t believe an international license is required in most states. It helps avoid issues such as being ticketed for driving without a license if the cop doesn’t accept the foreign license as valid. I’ve found nothing requiring one to have an international drivers license in Florida

BUT the issue isn’t that at all. When moving to Florida one is required to obtain a Florida license, if they wish to drive in Florida, within 30 days. That means if they have lived in Florida more than 30 days and do not have a Florida driveres license, they can be charged with driving without a valid license. So, since the op has resided in Florida well beyond 30 days, he cannot legally drive in Florida until he obtains a Florida permit (and complies with the restrictions the state imposes) or obtains a Florida license.

Whether a cop or court would “look the other way” is discretionary on their part.

I was only responding to the DMV speaking to the issuer of the international DL. For anyone with a Brazilian licence, it isn't AAA it needs to be CBA.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I was only responding to the DMV speaking to the issuer of the international DL. For anyone with a Brazilian licence, it isn't AAA it needs to be CBA.
    Fair enough

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast