Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Go Away Money

It is very popular here to use the term "go away money." My understanding of its application is when an insurance company/defendant is in the right, they do not owe anything to the plaintiff, yet they pay him anyway to avoid litigation and defense costs. Is that correct?

Well, here is a case where a bicyclist recently rode through a set of cones and into a construction ditch in a designated bike lane. He became paraplegic. Now, I feel certain you all see him as 100% at fault, yet the three defendants paid him at total of $20 million dollars. So I ask, do insurance companies pay $20M in "go away money?"

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...508176591.html

Why didn't they just tell him to "go away" instead of paying him that kind of money to "go away?" I mean, you all see him 100% at fault, right?

Default Re: Go Away Money

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    I mean, you all see him 100% at fault, right?
    I don't see him as wholly at fault just based on the information in that article. That article lacks a lot of details I would want to know in assessing whether he had a valid claim or not. The fact that the defendants agreed to such a large settlement tells me that they thought there was at least a somewhat decent shot that he would win at least that much if the case went to trial. The defendants would have far more information about potential liability than was revealed in that article.

Moreover, it is my observation that general news outlets like local TV stations tend to do a fairly poor job covering legal issues (and a variety of other technical subject too) because the reporters writing the story do not often have much expertise in the subject. So I'd not be inclined to rely much on what those reports contain on anything remotely complex.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    It is very popular here to use the term "go away money." My understanding of its application is when an insurance company/defendant is in the right, they do not owe anything to the plaintiff, yet they pay him anyway to avoid litigation and defense costs. Is that correct?

Well, here is a case where a bicyclist recently rode through a set of cones and into a construction ditch in a designated bike lane. He became paraplegic. Now, I feel certain you all see him as 100% at fault, yet the three defendants paid him at total of $20 million dollars. So I ask, do insurance companies pay $20M in "go away money?"

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...508176591.html

Why didn't they just tell him to "go away" instead of paying him that kind of money to "go away?" I mean, you all see him 100% at fault, right?
    i don’t necessarily see him at fault either. There is too much information missing to be able to make such a statement.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    i don’t necessarily see him at fault either. There is too much information missing to be able to make such a statement.
    What kind of information is missing? In my case you all said I was 100% at fault when there was not even a single cone set out to warn me of a road hazard and lane closure. Here the guy runs through the cones and into a ditch and you don't see him at fault? You are inconsistent, both of you!

IMO, you do not see him at fault because the fat woman has already sung and you'd be clearly wrong in saying the cyclist was at fault. $20M is not "go away money" which proves there is more to an accident like this than simply being inattentive.

Here are the case Documents, no images, you have to pay for copies I guess. You see how many legal were papers filed, very complex case

There were 3 Defendants, a collective total of 21+ mil is not "go away" money.

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/faces...hResults.xhtml

Proposed settlement:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1te_...K-6cVWhJZ/view

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    I don't see him as wholly at fault just based on the information in that article.
    Why not? You said I was mostly at fault.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    Why not? You said I was mostly at fault.
    Because I don't have any of the evidence either side would provide in the case. I don't know what the area looked like to the cyclist, I don't know if the cyclist actually saw the danger and went ahead anyway, didn't see the danger but should have, or whether the danger would not have been apparent to any reasonable person approaching the construction area. I don't know how fast he was traveling or what distractions he may have had. I don't know what the construction crews knew of the danger, I don't know what efforts were made by the construction crews to alert others to the danger. You get the idea, I think. There's a lot I'd want to know before deciding on liability.

In your case, I was limited to just what information you provided, of course, but at least it was information provided directly by the guy who was involved. That was a whole lot more than what that article had.

View Post
    Because I don't have any of the evidence either side would provide in the case. I don't know what the area looked like to the cyclist, I don't know if the cyclist actually saw the danger and went ahead anyway, didn't see the danger but should have, or whether the danger would not have been apparent to any reasonable person approaching the construction area. I don't know how fast he was traveling or what distractions he may have had. I don't know what the construction crews knew of the danger, I don't know what efforts were made by the construction crews to alert others to the danger. You get the idea, I think. There's a lot I'd want to know before deciding on liability.

In your case, I was limited to just what information you provided, of course, but at least it was information provided directly by the guy who was involved. That was a whole lot more than what that article had.
    Hmmm. You did not know any of those things about my accident but you still said I was mostly at fault. You are being inconsistent.

As I told jk, you are also hesitant to call him at fault/liable because in doing so, you would be admitting you are wrong.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    Hmmm. You did not know any of those things about my accident but you still said I was mostly at fault. You are being inconsistent.
    Do you have a link to that prior thread? I can't seem to find it using the search. As I recall your situation and the one in the article (at least what we know of it) weren't exactly the same, and different facts can result in different outcomes.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    As I told jk, you are also hesitant to call him at fault/liable because in doing so, you would be admitting you are wrong.
    No, I'm being hesistant to say he was at fault, or that the contractors were at fault, because as I said, I know very little out the accident described in that article. The author provided almost no information about what happened. You at least, if I recall correctly, provided more information, and as I said that information was coming from someone actually involved.

View Post
    Do you have a link to that prior thread? I can't seem to find it using the search. As I recall your situation and the one in the article (at least what we know of it) weren't exactly the same, and different facts can result in different outcomes.
    I am not going to conjure up my old thread but I will discus it a bit, it still being an active case.

Of course the two accidents are not identical. What two accidents are? However, they are strikingly similar. Similarities: Professional road workers were in the bike lane doing work. They blocked/closed the bike lane. In my case they did not put up any advanced warning devices like cones, signs, flagman, flares, a taper, etc. Just a dimly lit arrow board above the truck instructing bikes to merge into the #2 lane with 70mph traffic to go around the work truck. The edge of the flatbed truck protruded into the #2 lane making the necessary swerve harder to make. In this recent case in San Diego the road workers blocked the bike lane AND the #2 lane with what I assume were cones that formed a taper/merger. The cyclist disregarded the cones by driving through them into the designated work area and rode into an open ditch. I believe other riders were also injured.

So you tell me, knowing what you and jk know, how can you BOTH say that I was mostly at fault and would have a hard time getting compensated while saying this guy was likely not at fault? Explain for yourself, not jk.

No, I'm being hesistant to say he was at fault, or that the contractors were at fault, because as I said, I know very little out the accident described in that article. The author provided almost no information about what happened. You at least, if I recall correctly, provided more information, and as I said that information was coming from someone actually involved.
    Read the court documents linked in the article. They explain the legal process the plaintiff used to argue the case. Two legal terms were used that I doubt anyone here has ever heard of. So it is not as simple as "if you run into something from behind it is highly likely your fault." Of course I am not quoting you, I am quoting the general responses I got from the EL Clique who are mysteriously silent now.

This case should be a lesson and a wake up call to the frontline hacks that post here, but I'm not holding my breath.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast