Default Parked Within 15 Feet of a Fire Hydrant

My PARKING CITATION has to deal with the State of Texas.

On 5/5/2010
    I received VIOLATIONS

CITATION VIO 1: Parked Within 15ft of Fire Hydrant

(15 days, all fines will double)-$100

I was a first time visitor at a local residency where there were two cars parked in front and behind me that didn't receive citations that were also parked within 15 ft of the Fire Hydrant. This the only place you can park (street parking) otherwise vehicles will be towed at owner's expense according to management. In addition it is also a highly parked street as it is next to a local school.

There are NO yellow stripes on the curb indicating a NO PARKING zone but have yellow stripes that are painted saying NO PARKING at the beginning of and end of the street all throughout the street just about a few yards down and is a small street. No stripe in front of the fire hydrant.

A fire truck can clearly have access to the fire hydrant and I know this violation may sound ridiculous but I am just a student and am struggling financially at the moment and the vehicle was not mine and the registered owner is obviously making me responsible for it....

so my question is, if it is so important that one must not be parked within 14ft. 11.11.11.in. from a fire hydrant is the management or the city responsible for applying stripes to the curb for a NO PARKING ZONE if it is a highly parked zone and management of the property claims that visitors can ONLY park there, you don't have a choice it either that or risk getting your vehicle towed +$200 to recover it. Am I to carry a measuring tape in my car to measure out every time whether or not I am parked within over EXACTLY 15 ft. from a fire hydrant?

I will contest to the court for this citation as this is the first ever citation and was completely unaware that a law like this even existed. It is obvious the city would like my money as it is in a lower income city and the vehicle parked was a nicer vehicle.

Default Re: Parked 15ft Within Fire Hydrant

this is within the state law:

(b) An operator may not, except momentarily to pick up or
    discharge a passenger, stand or park an occupied or unoccupied
    vehicle:
    (1) in front of a public or private driveway;
    (2) within 15 feet of a fire hydrant;
    (3) within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection;
    (4) within 30 feet on the approach to a flashing
    since that is the standard for the entire state, the fact this it would also be applicable wherever you were. There are no requirements for any curb or street marking for the law to be applicable.

If the argument that I saw others doing it and they got away with it worked, Ted Bundy would have been found innocent.

It is not up to you to determine if the fire truck could access the hydrant or not. You were prohibited from parking within 15 feet of the hydrant so if you were within 15 feet, you are guilty.

I will contest to the court for this citation as this is the first ever citation and was completely unaware that a law like this even existed.
    I can see it now: Your honor, I have no idea what the laws of the state of Texas are, including those they ask on the drivers exam, so I should be excused.

Ya, I can see that working.

This the only place you can park (street parking) otherwise vehicles will be towed at owner's expense according to management.
    then I would suggest some better shoes so you can walk from an area you are allowed to park.

based on your posts here, it appears you have a problem with illegal parking. Maybe you should review the laws of your state a bit before driving anymore.

1. Sponsored Links