Default Drunk and Disorderly in Michigan

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

I was recently arrested for getting into a fight outside a bar. I was charged with Drunk and Disorderly. I have no other charges on my record.

What is likely to be my punishment? How would I go about speaking with the public defender? Do I even need to speak with the public defender? What happens to me if I just plead guilty?

Sorry for so many questions I just don't know how any of this works.

Default Re: Drunk and Disorderly - Michigan

From experience as a barkeep, you're looking at probation and time out of my bar. Don't try and drink, especially if you get PBT's, and next time, behave.

Default Re: Drunk and Disorderly - Michigan

Right I wont be drinking. I am really wondering about the public defender and which plea to enter. Any info on that would be very helpful.

Default Re: Drunk and Disorderly in Michigan

Plead "Not Guilty;"otherwise, you give up a lot of rights and close your options. At the arraignment you may be told how to contact a public defender. If you have no record you may qualify for a diversion. Look under your county/district court website and/or in the phone book under county government and "district court" for information and/or phone contacts.

A lot depends on northern or southern (yes, they ARE different). Up north, a plea bargain is often offered to a reduced offence(per the prosecutor), especially on a first offence. Bar owners (or head barkeeps)statements are given weight (if you're a good patron, don't tend to punch us or other regs out). You're gonna have to keep your nose clean for awhile, and prolly pay about $1k-1500 in fines, attend classes at a fee (and pay for assessments for alcohol abuse), and possibly even drivers responsibility fees (doesn't matter if you were drinking and driving, the fact was you were charged with a drinking offence). Meet with your PD (for around $350 up this way for a 15 min meeting before court) and have him plead it out. If you don't want to pay for a PD, ask for a meeting with the prosecutor.

There are many atty's that will give first consults for free.... might be worth the trip.

I am in Marquette in the U.P.

If I plead "not guilty" and they don't offer a plea bargain, what happens then?

The fight did not happen inside the bar, and I don't think any of the bouncers or employees of the bar even saw it happen. It all started outside, after bar close, at a hot dog cart.

The police didn't see it start either, but obviously I was fighting because they pulled me off of the guy.

What I am getting at is this: I know I did it, the cops know I did it, so if I plead not guilty wouldn't the cop just say, "umm nope he is a liar."

Also, who would be my prosecutor in this case? Do I arrange a meeting just before the arraignment or earlier?

1. Sponsored Links