Default Ex-Wife Making Slanderous Accusations to Destroy My Marriage

My question involves defamation in the state of: Florida

Recently, my ex-wife accused me of trying to sleep with her while my wife was out of town on business. Nothing could be further from the truth. My wife knows better and laughed it off. However, that is a serious accusation that could have cost me my wonderful marriage.

What can be done to stop this slander? Do we have grounds to go after her civally to make her stop? I take EVERY precaution to make sure there's nothing my ex-wife can use against me. Every time I communicate with her or have to be around her, I make sure I have witnesses. She is a borderline personality and we've been expecting her to take it to this level for quite some time now. My wife and I have been together for over 6 years now, but this woman will not move on and continues to do everything she can to destroy us. It hasn't hurt my marriage, but it's definitely causing me physical and mental anguish. I just need to know what to do to make her stop.

Default Re: Ex-Wife Making Slanderous Accusations to Destroy My Marriage

You don't get to sue for what might have happened.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    You don't get to sue for what might have happened.
    But it DIDN'T happen. That's the problem. If it had, I wouldn't be writing for help, I'd just be thankful my wife didn't believe it.

This is a LEGITIMATE case of someone LYING to defame my character and cause me distress. Not all men are cads. I love my wife more than anything and if I wanted my ex-wife could easily have her. She's an EX for a reason; many reasons actually and I want nothing to do with her.

But what I don't want is her to hurt my wife or my marriage and I need to know what ramifications there are to stop this.

Quote Quoting tnjs
    View Post
    But it DIDN'T happen. That's the problem. If it had, I wouldn't be writing for help, I'd just be thankful my wife didn't believe it.

This is a LEGITIMATE case of someone LYING to defame my character and cause me distress. Not all men are cads. I love my wife more than anything and if I wanted my ex-wife could easily have her. She's an EX for a reason; many reasons actually and I want nothing to do with her.

But what I don't want is her to hurt my wife or my marriage and I need to know what ramifications there are to stop this.

What cbg means is that nothing happened as a result of the comment/accusation. Hence, you were not damaged.

You have no cause of action here other than perhaps, if she continues, a restraining order or a charge of harassment.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

My wife knows better and laughed it off.

So, it DIDN'T cost you your marriage. It DIDN'T damage your relationship.

Therefore, you have nothing to sue for. You cannot sue for something that didn't happen.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    What cbg means is that nothing happened as a result of the comment/accusation. Hence, you were not damaged.

You have no cause of action here other than perhaps, if she continues, a restraining order or a charge of harassment.
    Thank you, and cbg, I apologize for having taken what you said the wrong way. This is a very touchy situation for me and I am at my wits end.

Quote Quoting tnjs
    View Post
    Thank you, and cbg, I apologize for having taken what you said the wrong way. This is a very touchy situation for me and I am at my wits end.

You're welcome. Try to put this behind you. Your wife obviously knows that your ex has an agenda....just ignore the woman.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Honestly, if you both KNOW that she has issues, and both of you know that she is only trying to 'stir the pot', you're best line of defense is to ignore her and go on with life. Why worry about something said when you know it's not the truth?

If you ignore the accusations, eventually, she'll go away. Even a kid learns quickly that if they can't draw a response, it's better to find a different avenue.

1. Sponsored Links