Default How to Find Out Status of Unemployment in New Jersey

I have been out of work almost 11 weeks. I filed a claim immediately after my layoff. There are no issues regarding my eligibility... I was clearly laid off, I have more than enough time and money in the system to qualify for benefits. The only issue I had was a matter of 2 weeks' severance in lieu of notice, which should have been handled quickly and easily.

I have not received one dime yet, and I cannot find out what the status of my claim is. On a couple of my notices I received from NJ with claim instructions, I am seeing "check dates" listed, but with an amount of 0, and my balance is still showing the full 26 weeks. I continue to receive notices to make my claims online or by phone, and I continue to follow through on this, but I have not received any payments. NJ Labor apparently disregards mail and fax, and the phone lines are very hard to get through on.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I am a PA resident. Is there any way I can attempt to work through the PA UE system, even if it is only for them to put through a query to their counterparts in NJ.

Thanks!

Default Re: How to Find Out Status of Unemployment in New Jersey

Nope, PA can do nothing for you since all of your wages in the base period were earned in NJ. This is not an interstate claim.

Although, obviously there is SOME problem. You just have to keep trying to call, consistently, until you get through to somebody. You also might try actually going in person to the nearest unemployment office and see if you can talk to somebody there.

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    Nope, PA can do nothing for you since all of your wages in the base period were earned in NJ. This is not an interstate claim.

Although, obviously there is SOME problem. You just have to keep trying to call, consistently, until you get through to somebody. You also might try actually going in person to the nearest unemployment office and see if you can talk to somebody there.
    Thanks, but you are not giving me any new information that I want to hear.

The nearest unemployment office in NJ is quite some distance away, and the folks there are probably just looking at the same information on a computer screen as anyone I may reach by phone, especially in light of the fact that I am a PA resident.

So, what did you expect anyone here to tell you? We don't have a crystal ball. We don't KNOW what the problem is. I gave you two options. Take them or don't, I don't care.

If NJ has online service (as in MI), there is a link to file an inquiry. If you've received any paperwork to fill out, do so in a timely fashion, and contact your field auditor as to his/her status with your case. Once they have done the necessary investigation, it's normally turned over to their supervisor, who then has 30 days to make a decision and notify UI. (In my case, I had to call for a formal inquiry in order to get action, but thereafter, I had my UI in just 10 days).

If your employer is disputing, you will need to file your proof. Don't miss any of your requirements along the line, this can hold you up and even disqualify you. It can be a long and tedious process, especially if your former employer is disputing your claim. If they render a decision that is not in your favor, and you still believe you're entitled, file an appeal, which will require you to appear at a hearing. Good luck!

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    So, what did you expect anyone here to tell you? We don't have a crystal ball. We don't KNOW what the problem is. I gave you two options. Take them or don't, I don't care.
    Gosh, I thought that the big-toothed smiley would clearly indicate I was kidding.

Right after I posted this, I received some payments and a notice that they have properly accounted for my severance in lieu of notice. I am hopeful that the rest of the owed payments are coming shortly, that the whole affair will soon be "caught up", and that I won't have any problems going forward.

Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links