Default Stop Sign Two Car Lengths Behind Corner

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Texas

My husband was given a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign in a small town in Texas on his way to work. He has complained that the stop sign is too far back from the intersection to view the traffic, so he has to pull forward to see traffic. He comes to a complete stop at the corner though. The cop stated that he stopped two car lengths from the stop sign. So my question is, what is the legal distance from an intersection that a stop sign has to stay with in. And where do I find this information?

We would like to argue this ticket because he feels that stopping at the stop sign endangers drivers because at that view point you can not see the traffic.

Default Re: Stop Sign Two Car Lengths Behind Corner

Quote Quoting Comfort1day
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Texas

My husband was given a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign in a small town in Texas on his way to work. He has complained that the stop sign is too far back from the intersection to view the traffic, so he has to pull forward to see traffic. He comes to a complete stop at the corner though. The cop stated that he stopped two car lengths from the stop sign. So my question is, what is the legal distance from an intersection that a stop sign has to stay with in. And where do I find this information?

We would like to argue this ticket because he feels that stopping at the stop sign endangers drivers because at that view point you can not see the traffic.
    You can contact the Texas Dept of Transportation for a copy of the Traffic & Engineering report wherein you'll find the reasoning/justification as to why the sign is placed that far back from the intersection. I highly doubt it was placed there randomly or in error.

Here's the Texas Transportation Code regulating Stop signs:
    Sec. 544.010. STOP SIGNS AND YIELD SIGNS.
    (a) Unless directed to proceed by a police officer or traffic-control signal, the operator of a vehicle or streetcar approaching an intersection with a stop sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).
    (b) If safety requires, the operator of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).
    (c) An operator required to stop by this section shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. In the absence of a crosswalk, the operator shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop at the place nearest the intersecting roadway where the operator has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway.
    Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

To me, that means that a driver must make a FULL stop AT or before the Stop sign/Crosswalk/Marked Stop line (not 2 car lengths ahead of it), and then proceed forward, if needed, to check for pedestrians and/or cross traffic and then proceed through the intersection.

But, your husband is free to make whatever argument he sees fit before the court.

Default Re: Stop Sign Two Car Lengths Behind Corner

I agree with Sir That Guy. In fact, here is a four-way stop near where I work. The stop line on the left is almost 60 feet from the near edge of the intersection. The other stop lines are around 50 back from their respective edges.

The reason, as you can see in the aerial view, is that there are a LOT of semi's that travel through the area. Placing the stop lines that far back makes it much easier for them to turn. As you can also see, if you were approaching from the left, you would have difficulty "seeing" any traffic approaching from the north side of the intersection, due to the trees and shrubs. So, as TG suggested, the correct procedure is stop at the line, then ease forward until you CAN see.

Barry
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

1. Sponsored Links