Default Aiding and Abetting a Fugitive

My question involves criminal law for the state of Georgia

My husband did not show up to his last court date for Habitual DUI Felony and now his Bond has been revoked and bounty hunters are looking for him. Since this happened two months ago he has not came near our home. The bounty hunters have searched my home and followed me around on serveral occasions. I have spoken to them several times and told them that he calls me but I don't know where he's at. They have even traveled out of state and went to several of my family members homes. Now that two months have passed they are starting to threaten me with felony charge of aiding and abetting if I don't help them find him. I have three children under 10 and I am all they have so I am very scared! I asked them how I could be arrested and they said because they have been monitoring our credit card transactions with help from the US Marshals and they found where I reserved a hotel room out of state right after all this began and they know it was for him.
    To be honest it was for him (He begged me to come see him and if I did he would turn himself in) but as soon as I made the reservation I got scared and cancelled it and received a refund. They know this.
    Could I really be arrested for aiding and abetting like they say or are they just trying to scare me? If they can then who would the warrent come from? Local law or the US marshals?
    Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Aiding and Abetting

Can you be charged with aiding and abetting a fugitive if you, in fact, aid and abet a fugitive? Yes.

From what you've told us of your case, there's no realistic prospect that you're going to be living with your husband for a considerable time into the future. So how about thinking about your children. He's made his own choices.

Next time he says make a hotel reservation and meet him, and then he will turn himself in....you should call the authorities immediately. Think of the kids.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Can you be charged with aiding and abetting a fugitive if you, in fact, aid and abet a fugitive? Yes.

From what you've told us of your case, there's no realistic prospect that you're going to be living with your husband for a considerable time into the future. So how about thinking about your children. He's made his own choices.
    I have thought about my children and that is why I cancelled the reservation. The only thing I have done since that is simply talk to him on the phone. I was asking if I could be arrested as the bounty hunters are threatening for the cancelled reservation seeing that we never actually stayed there? Also if talking to him on the phone is a crime?
    Thanks!

I'm not a lawyer, ok?

I can understand where you love your husband and feel torn.

But you have to tell him to either turn himself in, or stop calling you. And when he does call you, contact authorities. You need to put yourself into "Cover YOUR ass" mode.

Call a lawyer asap.

1. Sponsored Links