Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Suspended License and Driving in Another State

Hey guys..
    So I currently live in maryland and i have a suspended license in pennsylvania..
    Question: If I drive without a license in maryland and get pulled over.. will the usual year suspension for driving without a license be added onto my PA suspension? or would maryland simply suspended my license for a year in their own database?

Default Re: Suspended License and Driving in Another State

Here's how I understand it...

Both MD & PA are members in what is called the Nonresident Violator Compact (NRVC). So if you are pulled over, are cited, and later convicted of driving on a suspended license in MD, that conviction will more than likely be reported to PA and PA will in turn subject you to the terms of its regulations.

In a nutshell, if you're suspended, don't drive.

But if I get pulled over and I say that I don't have a license at all could the office find out then and there if I'm suspended? I really just want to drive and don't want any extra time tacked on to my PA suspension.. if your info is correct then I'm walking.. I was more or less hoping that if I got pulled over MD would suspend my driving privileges.. thereby not adding to the PA one..

Quote Quoting Ohotdayum
    View Post
    But if I get pulled over and I say that I don't have a license at all could the office find out then and there if I'm suspended? I really just want to drive and don't want any extra time tacked on to my PA suspension.. if your info is correct then I'm walking.. I was more or less hoping that if I got pulled over MD would suspend my driving privileges.. thereby not adding to the PA one..
    Why is this hard?

You are not allowed to drive in any state until the suspension is lifted. Driving on a suspended license carries penalties that are, quite honestly, draconian in nature.

You don't want to know what the fines are... and, eventually, they will just revoke your license permanently... because, the judge will think, apparently you are a slow learner when told, "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DRIVE FOR A WHILE."
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Why is this hard?

You are not allowed to drive in any state until the suspension is lifted. Driving on a suspended license carries penalties that are, quite honestly, draconian in nature.

You don't want to know what the fines are... and, eventually, they will just revoke your license permanently... because, the judge will think, apparently you are a slow learner when told, "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DRIVE FOR A WHILE."
    Thanks for the reply BUT I have tried everything to get a probationary/occupational license.. the punishment doesn't fit the crime.. I was young got a ticket.. didnt pay it.. suspended and drove anyway cuz i was young and stupid.. and i get 5 years without a license?! 5 years of walking far to work.. not being able to go to college because it's not within walking/bus reach.. something so simple to ruin my life for the next 3 years i have left of this suspension.. hence the reason im trying to find a way to drive today

Quote Quoting Ohotdayum
    View Post
    Thanks for the reply BUT I have tried everything to get a probationary/occupational license.. the punishment doesn't fit the crime.. I was young got a ticket.. didnt pay it.. suspended and drove anyway cuz i was young and stupid.. and i get 5 years without a license?! 5 years of walking far to work.. not being able to go to college because it's not within walking/bus reach.. something so simple to ruin my life for the next 3 years i have left of this suspension.. hence the reason im trying to find a way to drive today
    As I stated, driving on a suspended license is a very dumb thing to do... the penalties are huge.

Since you have already been popped once for driving while suspended, if you do it again, you may never get your license back.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting Ohotdayum
    View Post
    Hey guys..
    So I currently live in maryland and i have a suspended license in pennsylvania..
    Question: If I drive without a license in maryland and get pulled over.. will the usual year suspension for driving without a license be added onto my PA suspension? or would maryland simply suspended my license for a year in their own database?
    When the officer in MD stops you he will not know you are suspended in Pennsylvania. He will write you for whatever tickets you get in MD. Once you are found guilty he will send those violations to the MD DMV. They will take your personal information and send it to the NDR (National Driver Registry) and they will see you were license in PA.

PA will then be notified of your new violations and give you whatever penalties you have earned.

The punishment does not fit the crime because you were young and stupid? YET, you knew you were suspended and drove anyway? Don't use young and stupid as an excuse...it does not work to help anyone. I don't know what you did, but you don't get 5 years of suspension for being young and stupid.

You have earned your suspension time, and you can not legally drive in any state in this country. If you keep trying to drive, and keep getting caught, you will end up in jail. Most states have added laws to punish people trying to do exactly what you are thinking.

You are committing fraud if you attempt to drive or get licensed in any other state and do not surrender or inform them of your prior PA license. The penalties for this fraud have been increased substantially since Sept, 11.
    License Restoration Services Inc.
    Helping drivers throughout PA with license suspension and Work License issues.

The officer can and will find the suspension of he runs you by name and you can be subject to the penalties in that State of operating after suspension, which can include arresst in some States. If he runs your license number, he more than likely will not find it. The easiest fix is to not drive until the matter is cleared up or you are putting yourself at risk.

Ohotdayum,

I know your pain! Past mistakes make it hard to deal with todays issues.

So, teach yourself the law about what is involved in using your property upon the public roads and highways.

Look up the right to travel issues in the state in which you reside today. Look up the states codes/statutes on transportation regulation. Look up your state's supreme court rulings on right to travel. Pay attention to definitions of words like "traffic", "person", "motor vehicle" as used in those sources. And learn your states administrative procedure for dealing with these issues.

These are the best answers I can give at the moment to show you how to deal with your current issue. With a little bit of reading, you should be able to find a suitable remedy.

Best of luck!
    Redbeard

Quote Quoting Redbeard
    View Post
    Ohotdayum,

I know your pain! Past mistakes make it hard to deal with todays issues.

So, teach yourself the law about what is involved in using your property upon the public roads and highways.

Look up the right to travel issues in the state in which you reside today. Look up the states codes/statutes on transportation regulation. Look up your state's supreme court rulings on right to travel. Pay attention to definitions of words like "traffic", "person", "motor vehicle" as used in those sources. And learn your states administrative procedure for dealing with these issues.

These are the best answers I can give at the moment to show you how to deal with your current issue. With a little bit of reading, you should be able to find a suitable remedy.

Best of luck!
    Redbeard
    Great advice.. thank you

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast