Default Out of State Bench Warrant for Parking Tickets

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: Pennsylvania

I live in Ohio. About 3 years ago my husband drove our van as part of a Boy Scout trip to Pennsylvania. The guys went on a week long, 50 mile backpacking trip, first dropping one vehicle at the end of the trail.

Apparently my van was parked in an area in which overnight parking was prohibited.

Shortly after they returned I received notice (a summons, I think?) for 5 parking tickets. I wrote a letter to the state park management explaining what had happened and suggesting that this wasn't a very good way to encourage tourism. I received a friendly note back, but the bottom line was that because they hadn't been paid within 2 weeks they had been turned over to the court and there was nothing he could do to help me.

Of course, at this point they were already tacking on fees and about 2 weeks later I received notice of a bench warrant. (I think at some point there was also a license suspension, but since my DL wasn't issued by PA and Ohio has continued to renew it that seems a bit odd.)

So, I'm steamed at my husband and steamed at the state pf PA which seems to be awfully quick to pull the trigger. I am innocent, but what do I do?
    It's not affecting me in any way now, but I don't want it to somehow pop up and bite me later. Our financial situation was part of why the tickets weren't paid right away - we were just coming out of a BK and things were still very tough. They're marginally better now, though DH was out of work since August and just found a job a couple weeks ago. I really don't want to pay all the ridiculous fees. (Don't want to pay anything at all, really, but....)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Default Re: Out of State Bench Warrant for Parking Tickets

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    I think you should pay the tickets and suggest you do it as soon as possible to avoid any more penalties.

Since hubby is to blame, make him suffer in some way. Nothing you posted seems improper so, since they are legit tickets, I would suggest sucking it up and paying them.

I strongly suggest you deal with the warrant as well. You never know when a warrant floating around pops up and causes you problems. Warrants may not magically disappear by simply paying the tickets. You may have to actually go to court to deal with that.

I know, it's not what you wanted to hear but 3 year old tickets are really old tickets. Your time to appeal them is long gone.

How do you deal with a court that is some 3˝ hours away? Complicating the issue is last summer we moved and I have no idea what the actual fines were or where I would pay them.

Oh, and the whole thing really irritates me, especially the speed with which it was escalated. These are parking tickets for cripes sake. Don't they have some meth labs they can go after?

Quote Quoting drmac
    View Post
    Don't they have some meth labs they can go after?
    I'm sure they do as well as some murderers, rapists, arsonists, and a thousand other types of criminals. That doesn't diminish or change the fact your husband also committed the parking offense.

I would start with calling Penn DOT or PA DMV and asking them where you can find out info on 3 year old parking tickets.

If you have a city or county the tickets were issued in, I would call the courthouse in that city or county and ask about the warrant.

ok... now this is getting really weird. I did some online searching and found court records showing 5 docket numbers, one for each ticket. One of them shows the status as "active". The other four show their status as "adjudicated." When I click and look at the individual files, those four show case disp. as "withdrawn." The one that is active was originally filed a week later than the other four. The disp. date on the withdrawn ones was 2/10!

The open case shows this:
    CASE ACCOUNTING
    Total Due: $14.50
    Total Paid: $0.00
    Total Adj: $0.00
    Balance: $14.50

Does that mean it's the amount I owe for the ticket? Or it's expenses for sending me the summons, or court fees, or ???? The actual amount of the original fine was $5 and there is an additional $10 that is preprinted on the citation/summons.

Seems like the simplest thing at this point is to pay the fine for the one that shows as active and let the rest lie as they sleep.

it sounds like they should not have issued the multiple tickets for the one continual violation. Some places do not allow more than 1 ticket in a given time period (often 24 hours) if it is a continuation of the same violation. I don't know if that is what happened here but it could be and it could be in response to your letter.

I would pay this ticket BUT you also need to address the warrant issue. Often times, you must address the warrant independently of the tickets. Off hand I do not know how PA deals with theirs but I am sure you would not want a surprise arrest in the future.

The five were actually issued over a period of 5 days. The "delayed citation/summons" which were sent due to the tickets not being immediately paid, had four issued on one date and the fifth one about a week later. The four with the same issue date were all withdrawn.

I doubt if my letters had anything to do with it, since they were sent nearly 18 months before the date of the withdrawal.

Still searching for the bench warrant info, but considering how seldom I venture into PA I'm not overly concerned about that. Especially if we're down to a single, $5 ticket. How far are they even going to want to extradite me if I even get picked up in a different county in PA? Still going to follow up, but ....

1. Sponsored Links