Default Emancipation for a 17 Year Old in Tennessee

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: TN

So I turn 17 tomorrow.

I have been waiting for years to turn 18.

I do not have a job yet, and my mother would be very much against this.

She has taken back her abusive boyfriend. He would emotionally and physically abuse me when I was 10 until I was 12...I feel like I'm living in Hell now.

I don't have a job yet, nor a driver's liscense. I've applied for a few jobs as of the other day, and am waiting for a reply.
    I just don't know what to do...

There are DCS records of where I was removed from the home before, and I have no juvenile delinquincy record.

I am more than willing to get a job and support myself, paying my own rent.
    Next schoolyear, I'll be a senior.
    I read that TN doesn't have any rules about emancipation, but is it possible? In any way?

Also, if I ran away and could stay hidden until I was 18, could I still be charged?

Default Re: Emancipation for a 17 Year Old in Tennessee

If Tennessee doesn't have any statute by which a minor can be emancipated, then no, there is no way. It is not possible. Period.

And if Tennessee DID have a statute to emancipate a minor, it still wouldn't happen in your case because you do not have a job and are not self-sufficient.

You are living in a dream world if you think you could stay hidden for a year. That might have been possible fifty years ago, maybe even thirty, but not in our current society where everything is computerized. You couldn't apply for a drivers license, get a job, enroll in school, or anything of the sort without your identity immediately popping up.

If the abuse starts up again, your recourse is to call CPS.

There is one way out for you: you MUST call 911 and REPORT any physical abuse immediately. The ways out are either (a) you get removed from the home, or (b) an abuser gets removed from the home (such as arrested), or (c) your parent/guardian removes you from the situation (such as giving you permission to live elsewhere).

Even in states WITH very clear emancipation processes, the number one factor is that you already ARE self supporting AND able to show the court the ability to remain so. Not having a job history, much less a job itself, will end your quest for emancipation before it even starts.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Thanks for your answer cbg

The thing is, I don't like calling CPS...because I'm not removed immediately, and the gears of the law turn very slowly...which only would give them more time to do more damage...

I have a friend who was emancipated already; however, I think that's because he's already joined the army.

And I only have to make it through another year; but I don't have a magic time machine :/

@ aard

Thanks for your answer, too.
    I don't think I could just up and call 911 as he hasn't done anything extreme enough for me to yet...

And my mother has already chosen this man over me before; I was removed when I was 12

Yes, if your friend joined the active armed forces, that would emancipate him. But you need parental permission for that at 17, and there is no guarantee that the military will accept you even if you had it.

1. Sponsored Links