Default Object Left in Tooth After a Root Canal

My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: I RECENTLY WENT TO A NEW DENTIST WHO TOOK A FULL MOUTH X-RAYS. I HAD A ROOT CANAL DONE OVER 5 YEARS AGO BY A DIFFERENT DENTIST. MY NEW DENTIST INFORMED ME THAT THERE IS A PIECE OF A BROKEN FILE FROM THE ROOT CANAL LEFT IN MY GUMS AND IT WILL HAVE TO COME OUT. THE DENTIST THAT DID THE ROOT CANAL NEVER INFORMED ME OF THIS. DO I HAVE A CASE AND WH HAS TO PAY TO TAKE OUT FILE. THANK YOU

Default Re: Dental Problem

In what state.

new york, upstate in a small country town

I assume that by "in my gums" you mean inside your tooth. Obviously you would have noticed a piece of metal buried in your gums at some point during the past five years. Odds are it would have worked its way out by itself.

The first issue is whether your new dentist is (a) trying to get you to consent to expensive work you don't actually need, (b) believes that intervention is needed where other dentists might say it's better to leave things alone unless you experience symptoms, or (c) is responding to something that most dentists would agree requires prompt intervention. It's not all that unusual for a part of a tool to be left in a tooth after a root canal, as it can be more traumatic to remove a broken piece of tool than to leave it in place. So we can't say in the abstract if your original dentist made a mistake, or if this is a difference of opinion.

Have you tried talking to the dentist who performed the original root canal? If in fact it's necessary to remedy the situation due to his mistake, and you only recently learned of the tool part remaining in your tooth, he may be willing to perform a corrective procedure. Or he may explain why his opinion differs from that of your new dentist, and why it was okay to leave the piece of the file inside your tooth.

I agree with Mr. K that this file is most likely within your tooth and not your gums. He brings up good points which I will address in generalities being I have not seen you/diagnosed your case.

It is unfortunate the dentist did not inform you about this broken file. In regards to having this extra work done it is valid to leave the file there and the tooth ONLY IF IT IS NOT CAUSING MORE DAMAGE. If the infection/pain is persisting or the dentist now sees the file left behind is eating away the tooth from the inside out then definitely his/her tx is warranted.

I guess it's not addressing Mr. Ks answer as much as it is confirming his statements.

May I recommend getting a second opinion?

If Dentist #2 agrees with Dentist #1....then it would be wise to talk to the original dentist about a corrective procedure....

1. Sponsored Links