Default 21801(B) Failure to Yield to Through Traffic

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I got a ticket on friday, my birthday, for failure to yield to through traffic while turning right on red. I stopped at the red light, a few cars passed and then the closest lane to me of the two had no traffic coming from what I could see and there was a car in the other, furthest, lane approaching the intersection. I quickly turned right into the open lane and almost immediately I saw lights cruise up behind me. The next vehicle traveling through the intersection in the same lane I just pulled into was a Motorcycle Officer. He gave me a ticket for "21801(B) Failure To Yield To Through Traffic"

I looked up the Vehicle Code and found this in two sections. The first being California Vehicle Code Division 11 - Rules of the Road Chapter 4. Right-Of-Way where it states "21801. (b) A driver having yielded as prescribed in subdivision (a), and having given a signal when and as required by this code, may turn left or complete a U-turn, and the drivers of vehicles approaching the intersection or the entrance to the property or alley from the opposite direction shall yield the right-of-way to the turning vehicle.

This doesn't make sense to me since I turned right on red. So, I continued researching and came across Vehicle Code Appendix B List of Violations of the Vehicle Code which had 21801(b) Failure to yield, turning vehicle having yielded (lane by lane). However at the top of the page it states IMPORTANT INFORMATION: This section, excepting entries for Occupational Licensing and Business Regulation (Div.5), is provided by the California Highway Patrol as an informational guide only and is not intended to supplant sections of the vehicle code enacted into law. The following list has not been codified and does not carry the force or effect of statute.

What does this mean for my ticket? Do I have a good chance of fighting this? I have a witness who was driving the car behind me.

Default Re: 21801(B) Failure to Yield to Through Traffic

Ok, before you were caught doing the offense, was there any traffic, or anybody walking in your way when you were "violating the rules"?

Default Re: 21801(B) Failure to Yield to Through Traffic

Quote Quoting Playero41
    View Post
    Ok, before you were caught doing the offense, was there any traffic, or anybody walking in your way when you were "violating the rules"?
    There were no pedestrians in neither the crosswalk in front of me nor the one going across the road I was turning on. Traffic went through the intersection and there was one vehicle in the left lane, furthest from me about to enter the intersection. I could not see any vehicles in the right lane, the one I turned into. There was a car on the corner that partially blocked my vision of looking up the street and the officer that I "cut off" was on a motorcycle.

1. Sponsored Links