Default MTA Fare Evasion Citation: Wrong Address and Home Phone Number

My question involves traffic court in the State of: New York.

The situation by the way was similar to the person who had the Caltrain Fare Evasion Citation.
    So I was going to school early in the morning, went to my friend's home, back to school, and I forgot I exceeded the limit in the amount of rides a day with my Metrocard. So I decided to go through the gate without paying. But I got caught anyways and the Police asked me questions in order to give me the ticket.

He asked me for my ID Card and I gave him my student ID. He wrote down my Name, date of birth and ID number. Them he asked me for my address, and I gave him the one next door. I gave him my friend's home phone number instead of mine, and he wrote down the date of birth on my ID Card, which is different from what my school records say, and of course, I gave him my mothers name since I'm under 18.

The question is, if the Officer only has my Name, mothers name and ID number correctly, can they still do anything about this IF I DONT PAY THE FINE ? In my opinion, there's barely any way to identify me, and even if they do manage to look up my records through my ID number (which I doubt they can do that), they'll have a hard time trying to prove that Its me.

Seriously guys, I 'm not a bad person, and I didn't mean to do something like this, but I'm not a person who can just ask my parents to pull $100 for a Citation out of their pocket. My parents are struggling enough as it is now.

Is there hope, or am I still done for it?

Default Re: Mta Fare Evasion Citation: Wrong Address and Home Phone Number

Quote Quoting Playero41
    View Post

Is there hope, or am I still done for it?

So, they have your true name, your mothers true name, and and the ID number on a school ID so they have the name of your school as well.

Do you really think they can't figure out who you are from that?

if they do manage to look up my records through my ID number (which I doubt they can do that)
    , so, you think they can't go to your school, walk up to the principal and say "hey, we tagged a kid for jumping a gate at the subway (or whatever it was). This kid goes to school here. Here is his name and ID number. Would you be so kind to take us to the class he is currently in?"

I don't know how diligent the police are in trying to enforce such a ticket but I don't see catching up with you as any big problem if they do want to hunt you down.

BTW: lying to the police is a really bad idea and a crime all in itself.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

They don't even have the name of my school written down. And how can they prove that I wasn't telling the truth and It wasn't the officer who was writing down the wrong information?

Quote Quoting Playero41
    View Post
    They don't even have the name of my school written down. And how can they prove that I wasn't telling the truth and It wasn't the officer who was writing down the wrong information?
    well, unless you are in a private school, they have the next door neighbors address. That should narrow down the school choices. Additionally, a call to a few schools and asking if they have a student with id #XXXXXXX and has the name of Playero41 would not be all the difficult and would also locate you.

This isn't rocket science here playero. If they want to find you, they have enough info.

to the officer reporting correctly:

An officer is generally considered to report accurately as the have no vested interest in the outcome of the action they are reporting. You obviously have a vested interest in the outcome of the situation.

Due to those two situations, you would have reason to lie, the officer not. Officers word generally wins.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

You do realize that lying to the police officer about your address can get you charged with an additional crime, don't you?

Default Re: MTA Fare Evasion Citation: Wrong Address and Home Phone Number

Ok, so as you guys are trying to tell me, I assume that I'm in probability of getting into more trouble than I'm in, so I'm guessing there's no easy way out for a person trying to save $2.25 is there?
    I still have a few curious questions.

1.If they charge me with failure to pay, I heard that I could get license suspension and hundreds of dollars of fines and fees, but I don't even have a Driver's license yet. Will my license get suspended the day I get one if they match my records?

2.My friend told me that I could only get into trouble if I get caught again. Is this possibly true? Or are they going to still try to find me and charge me just for a 1st offense? Think about it, there are SO many people these days where I travel getting cited for the same thing I did. DO you think they'll still try to waste time to bother with my case?

3.And If I DO get charged for failure to appear/pay AND lying to the Police Officer, what are the worst possible charges I could face? Are these misdemenors/felonies?

4.And why would they need my Address and Home Phone Number if they only need my name and Student ID to look me up? That doesn't make sense.

Please and thank you for helping me.

1. Sponsored Links