Default Sent to Collections by Sprint PCS

Hey everyone,

I searched but couldn't find a similar situation so I thought I would post here and see if anyone could help me.

In June or July of 2002, I got my first cell phone at sprint. I got a free phone because of a special they were having (I did not know that it required a two year contract). I bought the phone with my mom as a cosigner, got a receipt and went on my way.

I had several problems with the phone (had to go back and get new one the first week I had it) and it eventually wouldn't work at my own house. I went into Sprint to see what they would do for me. They didn't do anything except tell me to either buy a new phone, or just use the one I had. At this point I requested a copy of my contract (which I should have recieved when the phone was purchased) and left.

I never signed anything binding me to any length of a contract. My contract did not even have 2 years written or circled on it anywhere.

I returned the phone on the month anniversary of purchasing it because I wasn't satisfied with the service at all. I paid for that month in full and gave the salesperson at Sprint my phone because it was such a piece of crap I didn't even want it. She told me that they would still charge me an early termination fee to which I told her was unacceptable. She put me on the phone with a customer service rep who went through everything that happened and told me I was all paid up and I wouldn't be charged for anything other than the month of service I had already paid for.

I was eventually sent to collections and after each dispute, they simply transferred the debt to another agency. I first tried calling Sprint, but all they did was give me the run around and use scare tactics to get me to pay.

I am now at the point where I want to build credit. My score right now is a 660 and I know this 4 year old debt is hurting me. I could resolve it by paying, but it is the principle of the thing. This company screwed me over and I don't want to pay. What can I do?

Default Re: Sent to Collections by Sprint PCS

if they don't have your signature on a written contract that indicates it's a two year contract, then they would be hard pressed to "prove" that you owe the debt. sue them under the FCRA for reporting inaccurate information on your CR. the early termination fee is a contractual obligation, and without a contract, they are not entitled to charge you.

That is bad advice, your best bet is to dispute the debt in writting via certified return reciept and request a copy of the "signed contract" they have 30 days to get it to you. If they fail to produce the contract send a letter to all 3 credit agencies with a copy of the letter you sent the agency and a copy of the return reciept. The credit agencies will remove the mark. Total cost out of your pocket about 5 bucks. If you try to file suit it will cost an arm and a leg. That is only recommended with large accounts $10k+ and if the above tip doesn't work.

except they're not required to send him anything. the 30 day rule only applies to the first "dunning" letter. then they would be required to cease collection activity until providing proof of the amount and that they had the correct debtor. this account is 4 years old, so that no longer applies. no law (with the possible exception of a state law where the OC is) requires them to send him anything.

1. Sponsored Links