Default Lawyer got paid, but never did anything

Back in January 2006, i paid a lawyer to handle a simple divorce for me. In february i spent 2 hours in the office with his secretary filling out all the paperwork, she notarized them. I had several problems getting into contact with him, finally i showed up at the office unannounced, he assured me the job woul dbe done blah blah. Later that day i recieved a call saying he wasnt going to file it until he received more money for the filing fees. 2 weeks later i brought them the filing fees and again was assured my case would be handled. 2 weeks later the lawyers phone numbers were disconnected and he had left his office leaving no forwarding address, no contact nothing. My case had still not been filed. I threatened to contact the bar assoc. 3 days later i got an email from a "zippy copy" with a handwritten attatchment from the attorney apologizing, claiming unexpected circumstances caused the relocation and gave me a new number and address inviting me to contact him with any questions again assuring me he would do the case. I spent nearly 3 weeks attemtping to call the attorney at this new number...HE NEVER CALLED BACK EVER, my case was still never filed, it is now APRIL.....I mailed him a letter stating my displeasure in the handling of my case and again threatened if he didnt contact me i would contact the BAR and file a complaint. After a week had passed since mailing that letter, i still had no contact I went forward and filed a complaint with the BAR about him. This however still does not get any of my money back, does not get me a copy of my file, nor has my case ever been filed. What can I do from this point to either get my file, and my monies back from this attorney so that i may attain the divorce i sought nearly 5 months ago?

Angry now, how long does the bar take to assist

Being as i have filed the complaint against this attorney, how long does it take to actually get any reaction from the BAR regarding the gross mistreatment this lawyer has presented towards me with this case? While im asking, what is/are the first steps the bar will take with assisting me with this matter? and be honest.....can they actually do ANYTHING to this lawyer for what he has done to me? (ie...make him file the case, or turn over my file and the filing fees for the case, which he never filed) or am i basically just blowing fire up an old dragons A**????

Default Attorney Complaint in California

According to the California State Bar,
    Quote Quoting Attorney Discipline - Frequently Asked Questions
    After a Complaint Has Been Lodged, How Long Does It Take for Disciplinary Charges to Be Filed in State Bar Court?

Many complaints typically take up to six months to complete an investigation. In particularly complex cases, the investigation could take as long as a year. Many complaints are diverted out of the process along the way with, for example, a referral to mandatory mediation, an agreement requiring the attorney to meet certain conditions, or the attorney's participation in other minor misconduct programs.

Question ok wow

SO right now, this is all i can do to this lawyer? and i have no other recourse against this attorney....at all???

If you choose, you can file a lawsuit, perhaps in small claims court.

1. Sponsored Links