Default Red Light Traffic Violation Washington State

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington

I received a notice of violation for failure to stop at a red light from Spokane Washington. This was during a trip and Spokane Washington is 375 miles from my home. Needless to say, this is not worth the time money and effort required to contest this ticket in person.

However, it said on the notice that I could contest by mail if I would explain the mitigating circumstances on the back and sign the document. My contest is not the fact that I ran the red light, but the fact that the Revised Code of Washington http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.63.170 states that the violator must be mailed the notification within fourteen days of the occurrence. The violation happened on 12/05/09, the post meter was dated 12/21/09 and the actual postmark was on 12/23/09. I received this notice in the mailbox on 12/26/09. None of these dates are within the fourteen days required by law. I noted this in my statement, and sent it in to contest the ticket to the red light camera company in Arizona. I then received another notice back from Texas that I would receive a notice of decision. I then received a notice today, again from Texas, that my request had been denied and that I should pay up. Note that none of these notices ever came from the city of Spokane Washington. I called American Traffic Solutions in Arizona today and inquired as to why my request was denied. The phone operator said that it was because the officer stated that the notice had been signed on 12/17/09. I would like to know if there is anything that I can do, since none of the postmarks on the envelope are within the fourteen days as required. I feel that I am being railroaded by a fascist state, as I am only able to communicate with corporations, and not with the government. Is there anything that can be done at this point, or do I just have to grit my teeth and hand over the cash?

Default Re: Red Light Traffic Violation Washington State

First of all, you have NOT been issued a traffic citation. Second, the law definitely says it must be "mailed" within 14 days -- not just signed.

Personally, I'd ignore the whole thing. "American Traffic Solutions" is a private company (which is also contrary to WA law), who will receive a portion of the money -- if they can get you to pay it.

The fact that your response was sent to a company in AZ should be a clue. If it does not contain a WA Court address, it is NOT a Notice of Infraction -- just a phishing expedition.

Barry
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

1. Sponsored Links