Default How to Check if a Restraining Order Was Filed or Issued

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: California

City: San Francisco

I would like to know if it is possible to check if a woman has previously filed a restraining order. She claims that she had attained a one year "no contact" restraining order against a previous boyfriend. It was based on an act of violence followed towards her followed by his persistent calls, letters, emails trying to win her back. The restraining order was issued in late 2008 in the City of San Francisco. Recently she has told me of other events in her life that I am starting to call into question but cannot verify one way or another. I figured there should be a document trail to verify or not if this "restraining order" event occured. I do not have the ex-bf's name so I would have to be able to search using her name only. Using google or other search engines does not return any results. Any thoughts on how I could search for this information.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Default Re: How to Check if a Restraining Order Was Filed or Issued

You can contact the Clerk of Courts for a records search, but it's likely you'll need the names of both parties and an approximate date.

I have to ask, though, why are you so concerned about whether this happened or not? If you think she's a liar and you don't trust her, isn't it easier to just cut contact instead of wasting your time trying to verify things that you were not party to?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: How to Check if a Restraining Order Was Filed or Issued

I was able to access the SF Superior Court records online and search by name. I found separate court cases listed under the names of both individuals. She had filed several civil suits but there was no mention of a restraining order nor was he mentioned in any of her cases. Question - as the person requesting a civil restraining order, wouldn't there be a record in the database under her name?

Searching under her ex-bf's name brought up two entries but trying to pull up details shows a message "there are no cases for (individuals name) available for public view". Is it possible the record was sealed because i) she filed for but did not receive the restraining order or ii) the record was expunged once the order had expired? If his record was sealed/expunged would that prevent it from being listed when searching under her name?

Thank you in advance.

1. Sponsored Links