Default Ending Child Support in Texas and Teen Pregnancy

My child is 15 1/2 yrs old and just announced to her mother she is pregnant. From online social sites, I have read that her "boyfriend" lives in HER house with her (ie. my ex-wives house...she has allowed it). My daughter is in 8th grade (failed a couple of times already and I believe is already failing again)

Q. If my daughter stops attending school because of her pregnancy, Texas has child support ending at 18 or graduates from high school whichever is later, however, I am wondering what will happen if she turns 18 and is NOT enrolled in school or takes off a few years and then enrolls right before she turns 18 again...can I stop child support at 18 then? I know if she is continually enrolled, even though she continues to fail I have to pay until she decides to graduate, but it doesn't seem fair she can quit school and return before 18 and I still have to add more years to child support.

Q. Her boyfriend I believe is under 18...if so, I read in the Parent Liability Child's Act that the minor-mother child's father and mother can both be forced to support the baby if she applies for welfare. I am very concerned as I have a child with autism and the court would NOT take his needs into consideration when setting my outrageous child support 5yrs ago...but now I worry that even the "baby" of my daughter will be entitled to my money, while my autistic biological son will once again do without because the courts don't see to count any extra needs he may have.

Default Re: Ending Child Support in Texas and Teen Pregnancy

What does your court order actually state about ending child support?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

You seriously need to schedule an appointment with an attorney to discuss these issues. Since the statute in Texas is so broad, you need to know exactly where you stand on these issues and whether or not case law exists that would back up any arguments you could make if the child remains in high school well beyond the age of 18.

Thanks for your help...

1. Sponsored Links