Default How to Get a License in Another State After a DUI

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Vermont/Nevada/New Jersey

My question pertains to obtaining a drivers license in an another state after a DUI charge. I have a license in Nevada but got charged with a DUI in Vermont. I have since moved to New Jersey and am required to get a license here as I am now a resident. Not only that, but my Nevada license will be expiring during my suspension period. My suspension in Vermont has not yet gone into effect and even it does, I assume Nevada needs to suspend it before it will show up in the computers. What do I do, I need to get a new license. Does anyone know if this will cause me unnecessary trouble in the future or what will happen if and when it does catch up to me?

Default Re: Out of State DUI -- Need to Get License in Another State

I am not sure I would call it unnecessary... seems to be necessary trouble to me.

Vermont will not give you a license until your Nevada license is unsuspended. Your Nevada license will not be reinstated until your Vermont DUI sentence is satisfied.

In a nutshell, your license is suspended. You did not avoid that suspension by crossing the state line.

Default Re: Out of State DUI -- Need to Get License in Another State

Nevada does not need to suspend it before it shows up in NDR. VT already saw to that. The moment your right to operate in VT is suspended, it will be listed in NDR and you will be denied as license in any other State. The only thing Nevada has to do with it, is that when they are notified of the suspension in VT, they will also suspend you and you will pay reinstatement fees to both States. Just because you have a license in your pocket from Nevada, does not make it valid. Your right to operate is supended by the State of VT. Technically, you should not be driving anywhere and are subject to arrest if stopped in a State where operating after suspension is a criminal offense.

Default Re: How to Get a License in Another State After a DUI

DUI is serious business, and your best bet is to just wait out the suspension, and THEN apply for a NJ drivers license (not before). You mentioned that your suspension has not yet started. Contact Vermont to see if you can voluntarily give up your driving privilege to have the suspension start immediately (as to not waste more time).

However, if you are determined to get a NJ drivers license immediately, there are ways to do so. Illegal Mexicans get drivers licenses all the time (and they don't have social security numbers). It can be done. I'm not supposed to post illegal stuff on here (I think), so I won't go into details, but if you do some research on how illegals get licenses, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Having said this -- everyone thinks that the DMV system in the US is this big network of computers where everything is connected, anything you did gets logged in and everyone finds out about it. In reality -- its a dysfunctional system with idiots running it. Things get misspelled, lost, etc. What you did in one state does not automatically get seen by another state. There are people that have to log things into a database, send a letter to your state dmv, then there are people (idiots) that get this info and process it. To be honest, if you wait until your suspension start, and then try to get a license in NJ with your own SSN and info, 50/50 chance that they will even catch this before issuing you a license.

References:
    1) I have not been in this situation personally -- so this advice is an educated guess.
    2) I do have extensive knowledge of the NJ DMV system and can attest that it is run by idiots and they often do not find out about pending charges from other states before issuing a license.

Quote Quoting DonaldKnows
    View Post
    everyone thinks that the DMV system in the US is this big network of computers where everything is connected
    You need to read this: National Driver Register... And I quote:
    National Driver Register (Overview)
    The National Driver Register (NDR) is a computerized database of information about drivers who have had their licenses revoked or suspended, or who have been convicted of serious traffic violations such as driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs. State motor vehicle agencies provide NDR with the names of individuals who have lost their privilege or who have been convicted of a serious traffic violation. When a person applies for a driver's license the state checks to see if the name is on the NDR file. If a person has been reported to the NDR as a problem driver, the license may be denied.
    You should also look up Drivers License Compact.

Posting on these forums is EASY... Posting correct, pertinent and valid information is what makes this site work the way it does. Lets keep it that way.

Having said this -- everyone thinks that the DMV system in the US is this big network of computers where everything is connected, anything you did gets logged in and everyone finds out about it. In reality -- its a dysfunctional system with idiots running it. Things get misspelled, lost, etc. What you did in one state does not automatically get seen by another state. There are people that have to log things into a database, send a letter to your state dmv, then there are people (idiots) that get this info and process it. To be honest, if you wait until your suspension start, and then try to get a license in NJ with your own SSN and info, 50/50 chance that they will even catch this before issuing you a license.
    So true. I've had some extensive experience with this issue, but for the states of CA,AZ,CO. As far as getting your license in another state I know of one legal way, but not sure if it applies to your states. Under California law there is a provision for hardship that allows for the release of driver priviledges in the state. This allows another state to license you, provided you declare never to return to California and apply for a license. My friend did that and Colorado accepted his application and issued license.

While I drove with a suspended license it California in my 20's without getting caught, they increased the penalty to almost worse punishment than dui.
    I moved to AZ with suspended CA license back in 1998. I went to their DMV and applied for a license like I was just getting my first license. She input the application and was halted on the screen during the process. She looked puzzled and inputted various key combinations until finally she got it to go through. It wasn't until after I was pulled over, arrested that I found out how she accomplished this. Obviosly California was connected at that time and stopping any action on my name and ss number. Since she believed it could not be accurate she simply changed my birthday by one day and the license went through. When I ran a red light some months later, the police in Phoenix spotted the error by cross referenceing with their computer. The dispatch had trouble clearing me of warrants for same issue and finally found me out of California. When asked how I obtained the state issued I.D since my CA license was suspended, I was surprised at the implication and sudden seriousness of the matter and truthfully told the officer that AZDOT issued it. He charged me with providing false ID to a peace officer and aquisition by fraud for what the lady did at DMV.

Since I was in Jail(Phoenix) I was brought straight to court where they dropped one charge and said they would let me go time served on the fraud charge.
    I signed and can never drive in AZ. Ok so I moved back to California, got my license reinstated after DUI school and have had it for 12 years during which time i've renewed it with no problems. I went this time to renew it and was flagged by dmv for what the clerk told me was some code for fraud. AZ finally has tuned their database sufficiently to merge my record with the previous AZ record. But California had no prior knowledge of my license in AZ since they were my original issuing state. Come to find out, when they updated the record they supersed any prior license number with the newest one merging all other data. So now they tell me I have to travel to AZ, obtain a license or abstract to release their hold. I called them and through hoop after hoop was release from them for a fee of $200.

My advice to you is to make sure that each of the states knows your issue so that they can involve supervision,if necessary, to properly account for your situations. The way they explained it is that there is no such thing as mutliple states license. Rather it is a one driver one record mentality. Meaning it may look like your license is different with different numbers, that only exists in the physical world. Digitally following you is your complete record. Its a seperate system called PDPS problem driver pointing system. It works:
    Here's what I found with google

Problem Driver Pointer System (PDPS)

The PDPS is used to search the National Driver Register (NDR). This is a repository of information on problem drivers provided by all 51 U.S. jurisdictions.

Based on information received as a result of an NDR search, PDPS will "point" the inquiring jurisdiction to the State of Record(s) (SOR), where an individual's driver status and history information is stored. Based on the information received from the SOR(s), the issuing state will decide if the applicant is eligible to receive a new or renew his driver license.

If you are looking for documentation or information related to this application, please contact the helpdesk at helpdesk@aamva.org or call 1-888-226-8280 option 3.

wrong. The clerk clearly saw the "hit" on NDR and assumed for reaonsa of complete sturpidity that it was not you. It was a clerical error that landed you in jail. It was not hardship license by any stretch of the means. Granted the State of potential licensure can consider the offense as being committed in their State and put you though their requirements. BUt if they are a driver's license compact State...and the State of the offense is a driver's license compact State, you will have to reinstate in the State of offense , or that State will have to agree to lift your suspension opending completion of requirements in your new State. Not as easy as it sounds.

Quote Quoting licensegrl
    View Post
    wrong. The clerk clearly saw the "hit" on NDR and assumed for reaonsa of complete sturpidity that it was not you.
    I have never been to a government agency and have them assume to ease the experience. Unlikely to have misidentified me as wouldn't the documents required to support my identity required at the time of application be cross reference to clear up any confusion? If you are correct, and she assumed as you say that the hit was not me. How can the system simply give me a license? It wouldn't. There are stops put into the code that if it matches certain criteria, it wont continue. You have to call a supervisor, rather than assume. He checks, gets on the phone to the Mandatory actions unit or whatever and has it cleared from the capitol. Not something she felt like going through so she just changed some shit and off I went. [/QUOTE]

Quote Quoting licensegrl
    View Post
    It was not hardship license by any stretch of the means.
    What wasn't a hardship license by any stretch of the means?

No. There is minimal personal information listed on the NDR screens about the individual who is suspended. Name, DOB, license # and offense info. The system checks certain things like name (first and last) and date of birth and decides if it is an exact match. Exact matches occur a lot even if the middle initial is different. Occasionally the clerk is prompted to decide if it is an exact match. Perhaps there was an Alias name or former name that is a match but the current is not. Supervisors then have the ability to decide that it is not. The clerk who waited on him must have had this authority. With very common names that have numerous hits and numerous records to decide whether to match.....I can absolutely see how an error could have been made. These "stoppers" that you speak of....don't exist. However a new technology was just put in place in a few States that allow the clerks to compare the image of their customer to the image of the offender in the other State to decide.....it's about time!

[ You have to call a supervisor, rather than assume. He checks, gets on the phone to the Mandatory actions unit or whatever and has it cleared from the capitol. Not something she felt like going through so she just changed some shit and off I went. [/QUOTE]

You need to think outside your State. NDR is overriden at the local office level in Most States....and I've never experienced a "MAndatory Actions Unit" so I'm assumng that department must exist in yours.

What wasn't a hardship license by any stretch of the means?[/QUOTE]

Im not going to argue with you about facts. You think that computers don't have prompts? Say for instance you try to log into a restricted area. You enter the wrong password. It stops you, "who has access to this area?" a supervisor. Why? Because they have more responsibility. They don't just issue license to anyone unless EVERYTHING, from EVERY state clears the match. The match is not by name only, no matter how common. Realistically the computer sees numbers and even if everyone in the world had the same first last middle name, the computer could still keep track. Also, I don't know where you get the idea my case was a hardship it was not, it was fraud. D.M.V is administrative law, so what may be true for you may not be true for me. Cases are cleared for issues when penalty paid in the eyes of the court and released per that case without completion of the driving program. I see it happen every week a new story as I attend those classes myself.

Quote Quoting licensegrl
    View Post
    No. There is minimal personal information listed on the NDR screens about the individual who is suspended. Name, DOB, license # and offense info. The system checks certain things like name (first and last) and date of birth and decides if it is an exact match. Exact matches occur a lot even if the middle initial is different. Occasionally the clerk is prompted to decide if it is an exact match. Perhaps there was an Alias name or former name that is a match but the current is not. Supervisors then have the ability to decide that it is not. The clerk who waited on him must have had this authority. With very common names that have numerous hits and numerous records to decide whether to match.....I can absolutely see how an error could have been made. These "stoppers" that you speak of....don't exist. However a new technology was just put in place in a few States that allow the clerks to compare the image of their customer to the image of the offender in the other State to decide.....it's about time!

[ You have to call a supervisor, rather than assume. He checks, gets on the phone to the Mandatory actions unit or whatever and has it cleared from the capitol. Not something she felt like going through so she just changed some shit and off I went.
    You need to think outside your State. NDR is overriden at the local office level in Most States....and I've never experienced a "MAndatory Actions Unit" so I'm assumng that department must exist in yours.

What wasn't a hardship license by any stretch of the means?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Then again, you are correct. It was a clerical error. After reviewing your posts with just 2 paragraphs you scored 14 errors, so my calculations would bring the average for your profession to roughly 7 errors a paragraph. Reduced it further and 1 error every sentence, on average. So I can see how this happened.

1. Sponsored Links