Unhappy How Long Will a Felony Show on a Background Check

My question involves a background check in the State of: Ohio

Back in 1999, I had a bit of a breakdown and stole some things from my jewelry store employer. I was convicted of grand theft (4th degree felony) in 2000 and given 5 years probation. That ended in April 2005, and (thankfully) no civil suits have been filed in regards to the remaining restitution.

I'm curious if I will be relatively safe come April/May this year in regards to background checks for basic admin/clerical jobs as the conviction was in 2000. Or will it pick up the probation, since that didn't end until 2005?

Default Re: Felony from 2000

Background checks are not one-size-fits-all. They are not all created equal. What will show on any background check will depend entirely on how thoroughly and how deeply they are conducted.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Background checks are not one-size-fits-all. They are not all created equal. What will show on any background check will depend entirely on how thoroughly and how deeply they are conducted.
    Thank you. I guess I was hoping that there was a general protocol (ie conviction v. probation showing up etc.). It seems that a BCI background check is much more thorough, and I don't see myself in a position for that type of check to be conducted. Just need to get on with my life and this keeps holding me back.

Have you looked into the possibility of expungement?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Have you looked into the possibility of expungement?
    I'm not sure if it would apply to me, but I would love to hear that it would. This was in Lucas County. The same guy who messed with my head enough for me to steal from my employer without even remembering the act of doing it also stalked/harassed/raped me and then filed false DV charges on me after I left him and they were plead down to "Peace Bonds." So my record isn't completely "clean." He rocked my world, and not in a good way.

So considering that, along with the fact that I did not fully pay off the restitution (no civil suit has been filed since my probation ended in 2005, and I'm actually on good terms with my previous employer), is it even an option?

Hi Neighbor. Dug out of the snow yet? (I am also a resident of Lucas County.)

Read the entire page I linked you to, and all the links out. That will give you a good idea of whether or not you're eligible. It sounds to me like you are, but you'll need to fish out all of your paperwork and check.

If you meet the requirements or just think you might, call the Lucas County Clerk of Courts - Criminal Division at 419-213-4480, and ask if they can mail you the relevant forms. (They might, or you might have to wander down to the Lucas County Court of Common Pleas, at 700 Adams St. in Toledo. The Clerk is on the 3rd floor.)

A chat with an attorney wouldn't hurt, either.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Hi Neighbor. Dug out of the snow yet? (I am also a resident of Lucas County.)

Read the entire page I linked you to, and all the links out. That will give you a good idea of whether or not you're eligible. It sounds to me like you are, but you'll need to fish out all of your paperwork and check.

If you meet the requirements or just think you might, call the Lucas County Clerk of Courts - Criminal Division at 419-213-4480, and ask if they can mail you the relevant forms. (They might, or you might have to wander down to the Lucas County Court of Common Pleas, at 700 Adams St. in Toledo. The Clerk is on the 3rd floor.)

A chat with an attorney wouldn't hurt, either.
    Well, I'm now in Dayton. LOL But thank you, I will definitely go check that link right now and see what I can find out. And a call to an attorney is probably in my semi-immediate future.

PS - We also have plenty of snow - we got hit with the first wave last week, second wave Tuesday/Wednesday this week. I think the total is over a foot now.

1. Sponsored Links