Default Idaho Inattentive Driving Charge

My question involves a reckless driving ticket from the State of: Idaho

Today I was driving on the local interstate, I-90 from Spokane, WA to Coeur d' Alene, ID. I spent about 35 minutes on the interstate, exited onto a side road going back to my house, when all of the sudden an Idaho state trooper pulled me over. The officer came up to my door, to inform me that my license plate # had been called in for running another car off of the road.

This came as a complete shock to me, as I had been driving quite slow, spending the majority of my time in the slow lane, and then moving over simply to pass semis and the like before getting back over to let traffic pass.

At this point I was thinking they would just say "OK, be careful, have a nice day". What happened next floored me. The woman who called in drove up with another ISP and they said she wanted to press charges, so I was given a citation for misdemeanor reckless driving, and I have to go to court now to prove my innocence.

The troopers wouldn't tell me much information, as I was trying to determine why I was being held, since it was just her word against mine. So apparently, in Idaho all you have to do is just call in someone's license plate and the cops will go charge them and force you to go to court. Unreal.

Anyway, at this point, I need to know what to do. I am thinking I should get a lawyer as I don't want to risk being convicted simply because I don't know some technicality or procedure. I seriously am not sure how this can be made to stick, being her word against mine.

If I use a lawyer's services and I am declared not guilty, can I sue this woman for my court and lawyer costs? Since her case will be tenuous at best, I am inclined to think that she would drop the charges if it was shown I would be coming after her in small claims or the like for my lawyer costs, basically I could call her bluff that way.

Anyway, any and all suggestions are welcome, I've never been arrested or charged with anything, and I certainly don't want to be fined or have my license suspended due to some other crazy person's delusions. What course of action should I take?!

Default Re: Idaho Inattentive Driving Charge

Getting a copy of the police report outlining what the woman claims you did would be helpful. If you hire a lawyer, your lawyer should take care of that. You don't get to sue your accuser for your legal fees.

Sir, I would like for you to contact me at undercoverpi@sbcglobal.net, as I know a
    person who is going through this same nightmare, Being a former police officer in Calif
    and currently involved private investigations. I believe that Idaho law enforcement uses
    this section to help generate additional revenue at the exspense of unspecting people who traverse the road ways in Idaho, and runs across some bone head that wants use the police for their own personal vendetta. It is a crimal offense, a misdemeanor. I would see if Idaho would you take you legal action against against this person " malicious prosecution " it becomes their word against yours, the police officer has no legal standing as it relates to his involvement the
    alleged offense was not observed by him personally, and really the way we did things in my jurisdiction, any questionable situation like the one you descibe, we would send it to the DA if
    the person wanted to push the issue and let them file on it if they wanted to, the other aspects would be to push for a citation to be issued against the party who said you did something wrong, by insisting that they violated the law by giving a false report to a police officer, this action is clearly effective against anyone who has a vendetta against anyone.

Quote Quoting magicman56
    View Post
    Sir, I would like for you to contact me at undercoverpi@sbcglobal.net, as I know a
    person who is going through this same nightmare, Being a former police officer in Calif
    and currently involved private investigations. I believe that Idaho law enforcement uses
    this section to help generate additional revenue at the exspense of unspecting people who traverse the road ways in Idaho, and runs across some bone head that wants use the police for their own personal vendetta. It is a crimal offense, a misdemeanor. I would see if Idaho would you take you legal action against against this person " malicious prosecution " it becomes their word against yours, the police officer has no legal standing as it relates to his involvement the
    alleged offense was not observed by him personally, and really the way we did things in my jurisdiction, any questionable situation like the one you descibe, we would send it to the DA if
    the person wanted to push the issue and let them file on it if they wanted to, the other aspects would be to push for a citation to be issued against the party who said you did something wrong, by insisting that they violated the law by giving a false report to a police officer, this action is clearly effective against anyone who has a vendetta against anyone.
    First, don't post to a 6 month old post.

Second, I recommend against advertising your services in this way. Many people that do such are weasels that are scraps of biological waste better used as fertilizer.

The general impression is that only a bottom feeder unable to find clients in any way other than an internet forum would try to find clients this way.

You are probably different.

Just do it somewhere else.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

1. Sponsored Links